V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

True duals vs. y pipe duals

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 09:41 PM
Crysta06

Exclamation True duals vs. y pipe duals

i have an 01 v6 vert. I have been looking at getting duals for a while now. I keep changing my mind between them and could really use some input.
**im not trying to break the bank here, i dont want to get headers, or an off road h/x pipe either bc i wont pass inspection**
with that being said i am open to any ideas ya'll have!

- i have parts from a GTs exhaust, everything but the mid-pipe, i plan on using these and just getting a pacesetter h pipe. this would be stock GT mufflers. would this even sound good?? It will run me around $450.
- on a side note i might try to add some thrush welded mufflers later on. (once i get more money)

- the second set up would just be a mac dual exhaust converstion kit. which means it would just be a bolt on off the factory y pipe. and that would only cost me around $325.

- i did look at doing no mid-pipe with thrush mufflers but the mustang shop i went to said if i ever had to get to my transmission we would have to cut it then build a whole new exhaust again. and i dont want to have to do that.

Please give me your thoughts on what i should do!!! also i know if i get the MAC set-up i wont really see any hp gains. Im not too set on the hp i just really want her to have a good sound.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:01 AM
Stein

Originally Posted by Crysta06
- the second set up would just be a mac dual exhaust converstion kit. which means it would just be a bolt on off the factory y pipe. and that would only cost me around $325.
I would say if you aren't going to go with a true dual setup, then don't bother with duals. Why add the extra weight if you aren't getting any more power? You can probably get a good sound with a good single muffler setup... I find it kinda funny that no one ever seems to do that with the 3.8.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:06 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

True duals will add power, the cat back will not, or at least anything noticible. You can still use your stock y pipe, but you need to have a shop cut it just behind the cats, then weld up the dual exhaust. Just keep in mind that even then you will only gain exhaust tone and a couple of ponies as the cats are the restrictive part of the exhaust.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:29 PM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

I think we've all determined exhaust isn't going to add a big gain on a v6 anyway....

The LS1 boys use a Y pipe , a single pipe, and a single inlet dual outlet muffler I think we would be fine.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:01 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Originally Posted by Stein
I would say if you aren't going to go with a true dual setup, then don't bother with duals. Why add the extra weight if you aren't getting any more power? You can probably get a good sound with a good single muffler setup... I find it kinda funny that no one ever seems to do that with the 3.8.

Because 1 exhaust pipe does not look good at all. True duels can be done for cheap. Do yourself a favor and do it right the first time. You dont want to have to spend the money to do it again.

Matthew
Old 03-08-2012, 06:43 PM
Stein

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
Because 1 exhaust pipe does not look good at all. True duels can be done for cheap. Do yourself a favor and do it right the first time. You dont want to have to spend the money to do it again.

Matthew
Doing it right would have been getting a GT to begin with. Problem solved.

I agree, two pipes look better than one, but for an under-powered V6, the extra weight isn't worth it for me, especially with no appreciable power gain.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:45 PM
belairbrian
2nd Gear Member

I ended up with the Flowmaster 17277. it isn't as loud as the 40s but a decent sound on acceleration but not overpowering at cruise.

I had a worn out muffler with small holes when I bought my 98. S0 I was going to have to do something. Lucked into the whole system shipped for $169 on Ebay. Installed in about 30 minutes.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:44 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Originally Posted by Stein
Doing it right would have been getting a GT to begin with. Problem solved.

I agree, two pipes look better than one, but for an under-powered V6, the extra weight isn't worth it for me, especially with no appreciable power gain.
For some of us a GT was not an option at the time of purchase. So please do not come into a V6 forum and bash on V6's. You want a GT, go get one and leave us alone. I am tired of hearing about GT or GTFO. I love my little 6er and Im damn happy I have it.

And for the extra weight? 5 maybe 10 lbs more for true duels? Dude who are you? Because your starting to sound like a troll to me.

Matthew
Old 03-09-2012, 12:33 PM
Stein

I am not bashing the V6, I love mine too... I am trying to say don't make it something it was never meant to be. And I wasn't saying don't go true duals, I was saying don't add a second muffler to our awful stock Y pipe. True duals will gain you power, because it requires changing the Y pipe - adding a second muffler to the stock Y pipe will gain you nothing.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:48 PM
warthogdriver
2nd Gear Member

I did divorced duals on my sixer..love it. I dumped them at axle.
yes i have some drone...but mehhhh nothing sound system cant cover

Quick Reply: True duals vs. y pipe duals