V6 Project Problems - MustangForums.com

V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

V6 Project Problems

Old 09-25-2015, 03:29 AM
ThatJuanStang

Default V6 Project Problems

So I bought a 2000 V6 that needs a little work (it's a project). Here's a picture.

When I bought it, it had no brakes (by that I mean I put the pedal to the floor and I kept rolling) so I assumed that was the master cylinder. After beginning to take things out from under the hood I realized I'm missing a few things including the ABS Control Module. Could that be the reason that there are no brakes? Also, where could I find one relatively cheap? Would I be better off pulling one from a junkyard? Thanks in advance for the info.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:58 AM
corker
1st Gear Member

I have found almost everything I need at a U-Pick-It boneyard. There are plenty of V-6 mustangs there with most of the parts intact. The bumpers, grills and interior parts are usually picked clean. As for your brakes going to the floor, sounds like a hydraulic problem (master cylinder bad, brake hose bad, brake line bad, etc...) Put some fluid in MC and hit the brakes a few times and see where it leaks out.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:01 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Check the rear axles for ABS rings. Depending on the trim level, not all v6 came with ABS.

Have you checked the fluid level, or lines for holes/leaks?
Old 09-25-2015, 07:58 AM
ThatJuanStang

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS View Post
Check the rear axles for ABS rings. Depending on the trim level, not all v6 came with ABS.

Have you checked the fluid level, or lines for holes/leaks?
The master cylinder is filled to the top with fluid and it's been sitting in the garage so leaks would be easy to notice but I haven't seen any fluid on the floor. I assumed I was supposed to have abs because my brother has the same exact model but a different color and he has abs. There's also multiple parts on the front end that were missing when I bought it so I thought that might have been taken off after being damaged in the accident.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:01 AM
ThatJuanStang

Originally Posted by corker View Post
I have found almost everything I need at a U-Pick-It boneyard. There are plenty of V-6 mustangs there with most of the parts intact. The bumpers, grills and interior parts are usually picked clean. As for your brakes going to the floor, sounds like a hydraulic problem (master cylinder bad, brake hose bad, brake line bad, etc...) Put some fluid in MC and hit the brakes a few times and see where it leaks out.
I plan on going to a U-Pull-It next week for a couple parts so I guess I might add that to the list. I'll try pumping the brakes and seeing if it leaks when I get home.