V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Help with dual exhaust conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 08:26 PM
comets77

Originally Posted by SteelerNation82
The exhaust he's looking at is a used GT catback he found on craigs which has Flows welded on and stated that he's looking to have a shop install as he's limited with tools and mech. skill. It's not a bolt on affair if he's going the route of getting the GT exhaust installed.

Yes the stock GT exhaust is stainless (409 to be exact) but those flows are most likely aluminized and not stainless if you look closely at the pics.
How long do aluminized parts usually last? If I do decide to go this route, what should I look for to ensure they are in good condition? I would rather wait and spend more money on something reliable and long lasting than try to go cheap and get something that fails within a year.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:37 PM
comets77

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Why would you pay someone to bolt in an exhaust system? Also the GT exhaust is all stainless including the mufflers.
I am a college student and have no access to a lift or jack stands. I also have not learned how to weld. Without this equipment and knowledge, the install would be virtually impossible to do myself, correct? If you have any ideas I'm open to suggestions, but I wouldn't want to do anything that might compromise the integrity of the exhaust system by incorrectly installing something.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:52 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by comets77
I am a college student and have no access to a lift or jack stands. I also have not learned how to weld. Without this equipment and knowledge, the install would be virtually impossible to do myself, correct? If you have any ideas I'm open to suggestions, but I wouldn't want to do anything that might compromise the integrity of the exhaust system by incorrectly installing something.
None of the parts you are looking at would require any welding as you just unbolt your setup and bolt these pieces in place. However, by not having any jackstands then yes the job is virtually impossible, as you would need to be able to get the car in the air to work underneath it.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:49 PM
comets77

None of the parts you are looking at would require any welding as you just unbolt your setup and bolt these pieces in place. However, by not having any jackstands then yes the job is virtually impossible, as you would need to be able to get the car in the air to work underneath it.
How much room do you think I would need underneath the car? I'm not sure how tall the jack stands would need to be. If I can find some on Craigslist for less than it would cost for someone else to install it I might think about going that route. What do I need to cut the y pipe?
Old 10-29-2015, 06:35 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Regular heavy duty jack stands will work. A sawsall will work or a circular saw with a meatal cutting blade.

you will need the exhaust hangers for the rear bumper and the p/s pipe also.
Old 10-29-2015, 10:45 PM
comets77

Regular heavy duty jack stands will work. A sawsall will work or a circular saw with a meatal cutting blade.

you will need the exhaust hangers for the rear bumper and the p/s pipe also.
Do I need any specific type of hanger or will just any work?
Old 10-30-2015, 06:58 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

It looks like that catback you linked comes with the front p/s one. I would get the specific ones for the rear bumper as the will just bolt in place.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:47 PM
comets77

It looks like that catback you linked comes with the front p/s one. I would get the specific ones for the rear bumper as the will just bolt in place.
Where can I find the hangers?
Old 10-30-2015, 04:22 PM
comets77

Also, what diameter is the stock v6 exhaust?
Old 10-30-2015, 06:41 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Believe it or not the dealer has them at a reasonable price.

Quick Reply: Help with dual exhaust conversion