V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Strange Warm Start Issues stalling Video Included!

Old 03-20-2016, 09:28 AM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Strange Warm Start Issues stalling Video Included!

This problem seems to only happen when I warm start the car after its sat for 10 to 15 minutes. I have replaced the IAC and it's had new gaskets put on its headers. Issue still remains consistent. What's everyone's thoughts on possible solutions.

Coils, plugs, sensors, injectors???? I am kinda at a lose....
Old 03-21-2016, 09:58 AM
corker
1st Gear Member

I guess you're not getting any codes?

Start ruling things out:
Hook up a fuel pressure gauge and monitor fuel pressure as it's dying - FP should be steady and not change.
Check the engine for any vacuum leaks (don't forget brake booster).
If you can look at live data - see where your O2 sensors & fuel trims are.

The results of the tests might give you a direction to follow.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:39 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

So it starts and runs fine when it's cold, and runs fine until you turn it off? When you took the video, did it eventually smooth out?
Old 03-21-2016, 11:49 AM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

I was thinking leaky injectors thus flooding when it sits for a little while?
Old 03-21-2016, 01:44 PM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow
So it starts and runs fine when it's cold, and runs fine until you turn it off? When you took the video, did it eventually smooth out?
Yes, it smooths back out and runs just fine after its done stalling. Now and then if I have to stop suddenly it will dip to 600 to 500rpm but only for a second and it is fine. Nothing like what I does after letting it sit for 15 minutes. Ford just said oh its because your header is loose and they just put a new gasket on it.... I highly doubt they took the time to let the car warm all the way up, then let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes then start it......
Old 03-21-2016, 03:14 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

If Ford replaced a leaked header gasket, that is money well spent, even if it did not fix your problem. If you have time you might take it to Autozone and have them read the computer to see if it has a stored error code that it is not displaying. The fact that it smooths out eliminates the coils and plug wires, so it sounds like a fuel issue, which should give you a code. Does the exhaust smell like gas when you start it warm?
I was thinking leaky injectors thus flooding when it sits for a little while?
I guess I wouldn't rule this out, but I would think you'd have the same problem when cold. Have you removed the plugs to see what they look like? If one injector is leaking, that plug might be darker than the others. I'd kinda look for something that is telling it that is cold, and it's starting up rich. Replacing the IAC seems like you might be on the right track.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:31 PM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

If Ford replaced a leaked header gasket, that is money well spent, even if it did not fix your problem. If you have time you might take it to Autozone and have them read the computer to see if it has a stored error code that it is not displaying. The fact that it smooths out eliminates the coils and plug wires, so it sounds like a fuel issue, which should give you a code. Does the exhaust smell like gas when you start it warm? I guess I wouldn't rule this out, but I would think you'd have the same problem when cold. Have you removed the plugs to see what they look like? If one injector is leaking, that plug might be darker than the others. I'd kinda look for something that is telling it that is cold, and it's starting up rich. Replacing the IAC seems like you might be on the right track.
It does smell a little gassy sometimes; I will have to pay more attention to that, though. It's not something I have been keeping an eye on. Could it be the fuel pump???
Old 03-21-2016, 03:47 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

It's pretty rare that a fuel pump or filter could cause your engine to run rich, it is possible that it could be lean-not getting enough gas, but it would probably stall when you rev it, and run OK at idle when it doesn't need much gas. I'd still try to get some codes off the OBD port if you can.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:06 PM
MustangVixenGT
2nd Gear Member

It's pretty rare that a fuel pump or filter could cause your engine to run rich, it is possible that it could be lean-not getting enough gas, but it would probably stall when you rev it, and run OK at idle when it doesn't need much gas. I'd still try to get some codes off the OBD port if you can.
Ok, I will give that a try and see if anything comes up, thanks
Old 03-21-2016, 07:21 PM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

I would tr throwing some fuel system cleaner in there and see if that doesn't help while you are searching elsewhere. That might clean up those injectors and may take care of your problem. It's a cheap try and won't hurt anything.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strange Warm Start Issues stalling Video Included!