V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Convertible top problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 10:33 PM
rob19810

Default Convertible top problem

I have a 2004 Ford Mustang 3.9 I had a guy install my fog lights OEM and the only thing left to do was to put a ponytail harness on it now my convertible top was working fine when I took it to him on the way out I tried to put my top up and nothing I did everything I could they are supposed to do to make the top go up or down and still nothing as I was moving the switch around the switch just pulled right up without any hesitation nothing was connected to it or anything took it back to him he said he did everything he could he thinks it was a bad switch which I don't believe because it was working fine before I took it to him anyway he took some type of metal with the switch and at least got my top back up I bought a new Switch the one from Ford it was $140 nothing it didn't go up didn't go down in fact there was no light to it it also being disabled I have very little options and because I'm on Social Security Disability I don't get very much money coming in I don't know what else it could be other than possibly a blown fuse just not sure where to look and again with me being disabled I'm not able to do any type of physical labor work I have to go Pittsburgh Friday to help my aunt who has cancer and I need for my convertible top to be working if anyone could help me or giving me some kind of inkling on what might be the problem I would deeply appreciate it thank you and have a great day.
Rob.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:15 PM
jkeaton
1st Gear Member

You said he got the top back up. So that should not impede your trip. If you have an owners manual, that will tell you where the fuse is. if the switch is connected to the pigtail and it has no power, that would be the first place I would start. I don't have an owners manual for mine or I would look for you.
Old 06-02-2016, 10:29 PM
lincolnshibuya
1st Gear Member

is your foglight working at all?
did your mechanic tap power from the top power line? it's hot in accessory or run and goes throught the top switch (up/down)
check fuse #20 under the dash.

---------------------------------------------------------
https://www.facebook.com/diyfordmustang