V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Starter System Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 05:36 PM
DrunkBuddha

Default Starter System Problems

'99 Mustang 3.8L

So lately I have had a reoccurring issue where my car will work fine, and in February, July, and two weeks ago, I will attempt to turn the engine over, but once in the start position, the battery will die.

Upon taking the key out and attempting to turn the engine over again, no electrical components will light up and there is no response from the starter (as if the battery has been completely removed from the car).

In January I replaced the battery after having this issue and it worked great up until July. In July I replaced the terminal connectors on the positive and negative cables to my battery.

Over the last two weeks, I have replaced the solenoid on the starter, both battery cables, the ignition switch, the battery, and none of the fuses look corroded or burnt up. I can put the key in the ignition and get the instrument panel/ radio to turn on no problem, but when I try to start the engine, there is no response or a click from the starter. The car however does retain electrical power after it fails to turn over, so I have that going for me now. Where should I start looking next?
Old 12-05-2016, 09:49 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

check grounds
rebuild alternator