V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 11:38 AM
toddlnrd

Default plug wires

I need to change the plug wires on my daughter's 2000 Mustang V6.

I was able to change the "easy" driver's side, but don't know the best way to change out the passenger side.

Will someone please give me some pointers on how to do this? Do I need to remove the intake?

Thanks,
Todd
Old 01-02-2017, 02:38 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Not the intake manifold, but the intake tube. Undo the hose clamp where it connects to the throttle body and disengage it from the air cleaner housing. I think there's an electrical connection or two as well.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:58 PM
toddlnrd

Thanks Urambo Tauro, but I was wondering how to get the wires behind the engine near the fire wall and around to the coil.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:25 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

I'm not familiar with the wire routing on the V6s, but I can't imagine that the manifold would have to come off. My guess is that all three leads are probably bundled together with a clip or two, which are then attached to a bolt somewhere back there. If that's the case, you'll have to reach and undo the clip(s) before pulling them through.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:19 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

When I had a 00 V6 i removed the factory wiring routers, because they were such a PITA, and changed to just some aftermarket spacer types to keep them off the engine. Never had a problem with that. That and but the factory tabs get brittle from heat and age so they will probably break anyways when you touch them.

just be sure you get spacers that are properly sized to whatever size wire you go with. If you get spacers for 8 or 8.8 mm wires and you're using stock 7 mm wires the spacers may fall off or move around. If you get 7mm spacers and use them for 8 or 8.8 mm wire you may chaff or damage the wire sheathing.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:39 AM
daves2001

Default Plug wires V-6

Hello,
As mentioned for the passenger side plugs remove the air cleaner rubber tube to gain some access. Routing will be like the wires you removed. Original equipment (on my 2001 anyway) had some plastic covers that are split on one side that go around the wires where they lay across the back of the engine to get over to the coil side. Pay attention to how the old wires were routed and just try to duplicate. That side is not easy but with patience and careful attention the job can be done. Various lengths of socket extensions are a help to remove and replace the plugs. Good luck.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:59 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by daves2001
Hello,
As mentioned for the passenger side plugs remove the air cleaner rubber tube to gain some access. Routing will be like the wires you removed. Original equipment (on my 2001 anyway) had some plastic covers that are split on one side that go around the wires where they lay across the back of the engine to get over to the coil side. Pay attention to how the old wires were routed and just try to duplicate. That side is not easy but with patience and careful attention the job can be done. Various lengths of socket extensions are a help to remove and replace the plugs. Good luck.
Oh right, the split loom plastic sheathing. You can pick it up at any hardware store.

http://www.gbfans.com/images/store/1525_177471652.jpg