V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

A/C Pump Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 08:39 AM
MyLilPwny

Wink A/C Pump Issues

Hey all, I'm new to the site and have a question about my car.

I have a 1998 FM. My boyfriend and I have replaced the A/C compressor in my car twice, and it worked about a month each time and then quit again. The bearings keep going bad and I'm trying to figure out what may be causing the issue. I'm just going to replace the bearing in the A/C compressor this time, but any recommendations?? I'm not sure if it may be the refrigerant pressure or something else.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:22 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

What is the process you guys are using to replace the compressor? A new compressor should not go bad like that unless
1) There's no oil in it
2) The belt is over tightened
3) There's moisture in the system
4) The System has the 'Black death' in it in which case compressors will continue fail until the system is properly serviced.
5) System is overcharged.

A compressor is not something that is replaced like an alternator. There's a process that involves replacing a few components when you open the system (Orifice tube, receiver drier etc). You also have to know how much oil to put in the compressor. Even if it comes with it, depending on the mfg, they may put all the oil of the entire system in the compressor (which means you will end up with too much oil) or they put in the correct amount. You won't know until you drain and replace it.

When the system was first opened, were the lines clean of any debris? Any black crap in the lines is AC Black Death (google it). It means the previous compressor grenaded and your entire AC system is contaminated. Sever cases can include replacing the condenser and/or evaporator. Most times an AC flush and adding an aftermarket filter works.

Do you have a vacuum pump and guages to run a vaccum on the system after replacing the components? This removes moisture and allows the system to take on the correct amount of refrigerant. Otherwise you have moisture and/or an over pressurized system...

etc etc etc...