V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Water pump heater tube leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 04:07 PM
lordvoldemort

Default Water pump heater tube leak

So I swapped the water pump but now I notice a leak at the connection of the water pump to the black, metal heater tube that goes to the heater core. I had the o-ring seated in the groove of the metal tube but the o-ring won't stay there when you tap the tube in the pump. It sticks out a bit at the top, but it still is pinched in the connection. And that's where the leak is from. it's a pin hole leak but still enough to drain the coolant and cause overheating issues every couple of hundred miles or a few days.

I am thinking of JB welding it or maybe take the tube out and using an rtv to seal along with the o-ring. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-13-2017, 01:18 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Did you replace the o-ring with a new one when you changed your pump?

Those O-rings on pressure fit hose fittings can be a real PITA! You have to push the hose in straight and it often helps to lube it a bit with either coolant or a dab of motor oil so that it slides in easier and doesn't get backed out.

You might want to back that tube out, make sure the o-ring is still in good condition then check the hole for any rough spots or areas that are causing the o-ring to hang up and get pushed out, lube it up and try again. It will expand when it gets heated.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:05 AM
lordvoldemort

Thanks for the input.
Yes, I did line it with coolant the first time I installed it. But it still backed out a bit towards to the top of the connection. Now I put some RTV along with the o ring to help good the o ring in place and also to work as a sealant. I put RTV liberally. It has been a couple of days and so far it hasn't leaked.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:23 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by lordvoldemort
Thanks for the input.
Yes, I did line it with coolant the first time I installed it. But it still backed out a bit towards to the top of the connection. Now I put some RTV along with the o ring to help good the o ring in place and also to work as a sealant. I put RTV liberally. It has been a couple of days and so far it hasn't leaked.
I've done that too in the past where the fit wasn't as snug as it could've been due to tolerances. Just hope you never have to try and get it back out of there