V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Overdrive switch relocation issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 08:39 PM
Mikekasual
1st Gear Member

Default Overdrive switch relocation issue

I recently relocated my overdrive switch. I replaced my stock shifter. My issue is this; my overdrive switch is turned off ( dash light off). I flip the rocker switch up, overdrive light on dash comes on. I am able to switch overdrive on and off. But, when i put switch down to turn off overdrive, my dash light stays on so does my overdrive. If and when i put my rocker panel switch back up to the on position, my overdrive will finally turn off and the dash light goes out. I bought the switch from AutoZone. Its the aircraft rocker switch with cover. I just think I am trying to use the wrong type switch. I want the rocker switch to work on in the up position and turn off in the down position. Its annoying having to flip the switch so many times. I need a link to the correct type of switch to get. Even if i have to get a push button type switch. I do believe i have a momentary spst rocker switch. Is it possible that maybe i hooked the switch up backwards? The switch i have only has two prongs on it. Thanks
Old 12-10-2017, 11:25 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mikekasual
I recently relocated my overdrive switch. I replaced my stock shifter. My issue is this; my overdrive switch is turned off ( dash light off). I flip the rocker switch up, overdrive light on dash comes on. I am able to switch overdrive on and off. But, when i put switch down to turn off overdrive, my dash light stays on so does my overdrive. If and when i put my rocker panel switch back up to the on position, my overdrive will finally turn off and the dash light goes out. I bought the switch from AutoZone. Its the aircraft rocker switch with cover. I just think I am trying to use the wrong type switch. I want the rocker switch to work on in the up position and turn off in the down position. Its annoying having to flip the switch so many times. I need a link to the correct type of switch to get. Even if i have to get a push button type switch. I do believe i have a momentary spst rocker switch. Is it possible that maybe i hooked the switch up backwards? The switch i have only has two prongs on it. Thanks
All I can glean from your problem is that, no, it is not possible to hook up a spst switch backwards. ALL spst switches have 2 "prongs".
Old 12-10-2017, 11:33 PM
Mikekasual
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by imp
All I can glean from your problem is that, no, it is not possible to hook up a spst switch backwards. ALL spst switches have 2 "prongs".
Do you know of a proper type switch to use? If you could tell me or post a link, id greatly appreciate it. Thanks imp
Old 12-13-2017, 05:01 AM
Coosawjack
2nd Gear Member

Was the shifter switch an "On-Off" switch or simply a "Momentary" switch that signals the PCM to disengage the OD and re-engage with the same contact signal??
Old 12-13-2017, 09:23 PM
Mikekasual
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Coosawjack
Was the shifter switch an "On-Off" switch or simply a "Momentary" switch that signals the PCM to disengage the OD and re-engage with the same contact signal??
Unfortunately I'm not that technical typing about it. It was a shifter i removed to install a manual shifter onto. Therefore, im thinking it was the second part of your question, momentary switch. I cut the wires and hooked it up to an autozune toggle switch.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:53 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

If you put a manual in it then you don't have an overdrive.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:04 PM
Mikekasual
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Daehawk
I recently removed the stock auto shifter ****, with over drive button, and installed a shifter adapter. Im using a manual shifter **** on the automatic transmission. I relocated the overdrive switch to a toggel switch. Now, i have to flip the switch on to engage OD. Then, i have to flip the switch of and back on to disengage the OD
Old 12-13-2017, 11:40 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Daehawk
Manuals DO come with overdrive gearing: T5, T45, M5OD, etc.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:43 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mikekasual
Unfortunately I'm not that technical typing about it. It was a shifter i removed to install a manual shifter onto. Therefore, im thinking it was the second part of your question, momentary switch. I cut the wires and hooked it up to an autozune toggle switch.
There's your problem, then. The push-button switch used by Ford on the selector lever is a single-pole, single throw, momentary switch. It signals the PCM of intent to cancel overdrive (or return it). A toggle switch won'ty work, because it is not a MOMENTARY contact switch.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:48 PM
Mikekasual
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by imp
There's your problem, then. The push-button switch used by Ford on the selector lever is a single-pole, single throw, momentary switch. It signals the PCM of intent to cancel overdrive (or return it). A toggle switch won'ty work, because it is not a MOMENTARY contact switch.
I understand what your saying. Do you know of a link or type of switch name I can look up so I can buy one? I already drilled into my shifter bezel cover and want to use the same circular hole I made. Even if it's an AutoZone part. I can make the toggle switch hole and make it a bit bigger. Even if it's a cool push button switch

Quick Reply: Overdrive switch relocation issue