V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Help Me- Engine wont stay cool and no power

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 03:55 AM
Autobadges.com
Banned

Default RE: Help Me- Engine wont stay cool and no power

yeah 94-95 stangs had the Ford HeadGasket Recall. I know mine blew...(both).....but then 2 pistons blew with it...the whole engine crapped out. But that's what I get from smokin' a 2001 GT on the freeway with a stock bottom end eh?
Old 01-16-2006, 09:16 PM
Braunstein82

Thank you that explains it perfectly, and that means THE HEADS NEED TO COME OFF. There go over $300, out the f****** window.

FOR SALE: 1994 ford mustang 3.8 many mods (needs new gaskets) email brandib28328@wmconnect.com
Old 01-16-2006, 10:10 PM
cobra232
5th Gear Member

who replaced the head gaskets and were the heads shaved when the headgaskets were done as well ad using new headbolts?

if the heads were not shaved or at least checked for warpage then that is why you have the problem now

you can easily pick up a 97-98 engine fairly cheap from www.stangparts.com or a local junk yard. about $500 -$800 is the going price

the 97-98 engines have revised water jackets that eliminate the headgasket problem fairly well. you can also get the good ford graphitic head gaskest from www.rpm-mustangs.com to fix your but you need to have the heads checked for warpage or have them milled .005"-.010". headbolts cannot be reused as they are torque to yield bolts. 94-961/2 blocks are really not the best and it is wise to just swap in a 97-98 engine instead of head gasket repair just because it is just as expensive to change the gaskets as it is to put the 97-98 engine in
Old 01-16-2006, 11:35 PM
98ponycar
2nd Gear Member

You may want to consider something before you sell your car. There's no way, unless you get lucky, that you will be able to sell your car for what you have in it, especially with the mods. Personally, if the car is sound, I would fix the car and drive it. You would be much better off to fix yours, rather than to buy a used car, because you may be in the same expensive repair boat that you're in now. If you're going to get a new car, I can see selling the Stang, but don't expect to get much out of it with the engine like it is.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:27 AM
Braunstein82

Dont you have to change the computer and other stuff if you swap to a 97 engine
Old 01-17-2006, 01:17 AM
cobra232
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Braunstein82

Dont you have to change the computer and other stuff if you swap to a 97 engine
you just need a 97 PCM which stang parts has in stock. that's all you need and you probably don't even need that

they are currently redoing their site but they can answer your questions and take an order over the phone

they are a good place to deal with
Old 01-17-2006, 10:34 AM
Braunstein82

then i also have to change the transmission too. my stang has aode the 97+ has 47row (something like that). Getting expensive.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:48 PM
98ponycar
2nd Gear Member

I think you could stay with the same transmission, but you would have to have a different wiring harness for it. The engine and transmission have separate harnesses.

Personally, I think you would be better to fix what you have, assuming not too much is wrong with it. Second, I'm glad someone has had good dealings with stangparts.com, because I sure didn't. I converted my 4R70W to a manual, and they sent me two transmissions, neither of which was any good. They were both filled with metal. I ended up having to rebuild one of the transmissions myself so I could have something reliable. I personally think they are as crooked as a gay man, but I guess everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion. I think that if you're going to do an engine swap, get a 94 model engine that you know is good.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:07 PM
slvr232mustang

Yeah i think its a transmission problem

Because you said that it overheats and when you turn off over drive it stops.
i think the tranny is putting a serious load on the motor and causing it to over heat and also may cause the poping nose that you are hearing. maybe its with the torque converter or the the tranny is not making the required pressure needed, causing there to be no power in the gears.
thats what i think is causing it.
Get the tranny looked at
Old 01-19-2006, 12:02 AM
Braunstein82

Is that something they can tell without tearing the motor apart. The tranny is out of a slvage 94 with 60k I only put about 20k on it. It sounds good, never thought of that, but it has been doing it before I put that one in, I think the engine cools because the higher rpm's applies more pressure to the cooling system and allows more circulation, but I could very much be wrong.

Quick Reply: Help Me- Engine wont stay cool and no power