V6 General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to V6 Mustangs.

V6 to V8 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 07:59 PM
laurieann

Default V6 to V8 Conversion

I have a 97 convertible I picked up for $ 1,200 knowing she was going to need engine work, but i had to have her . My plan was to replace the engine, I picked up a parts car w/ a good running V6 to rebuild and drop in. What I really want is to drop a V8 in her, I've been looking for a wrecked GT or Cobra.

Well I found one , I picked up a 94 Mustang GT with a 5.0 with GT 40 heads???(not sure what these are) and with under-drive pulleys. Any tips or suggestion on how to start would be appreciated !!!
Old 09-01-2010, 09:05 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Use the forum search tool for v6 to v8 swaps. Also search the web. A donor car was the right way to go as there are always lots of little things that you'll need. I qould pull the v6 apart first since so you can move the new set up right into their new home and deal with any issues immediately. GT40 heads are a plus, they were the first performance head Ford offered for the 5.0 and are simply the better performing truck 5.0 head. Ideally you have the matching intake and a hotter cam!
Since the 5.0 was only offered in 94 & 95 you'll need to swap over the K member. Obviously the front suspension needs to come over as well along with the front brakes. May also need to swap the fuel system so check that while the engine bay is open and easy to work on. Computer & wiring harness', don't forget the trans and rear end.
Hopefully this gets you thinking and I'm sure you'll find a more authoritative list from someone who's done the swap so good luck!
Old 09-02-2010, 06:36 PM
laurieann

Originally Posted by jimkaray
Use the forum search tool for v6 to v8 swaps. Also search the web. A donor car was the right way to go as there are always lots of little things that you'll need. I qould pull the v6 apart first since so you can move the new set up right into their new home and deal with any issues immediately. GT40 heads are a plus, they were the first performance head Ford offered for the 5.0 and are simply the better performing truck 5.0 head. Ideally you have the matching intake and a hotter cam!
Since the 5.0 was only offered in 94 & 95 you'll need to swap over the K member. Obviously the front suspension needs to come over as well along with the front brakes. May also need to swap the fuel system so check that while the engine bay is open and easy to work on. Computer & wiring harness', don't forget the trans and rear end.
Hopefully this gets you thinking and I'm sure you'll find a more authoritative list from someone who's done the swap so good luck!

Thanks for the info, I'm looking forward to getting started, not so sure my husband feels the same way. I'm going to help in anyway I can, I have know problem getting greasy . Were going to make the swap this winter so I have some time to do my homework. Thanks again