V6 General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to V6 Mustangs.

V6 underperforming?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 07:23 AM
NCGATOR

Default V6 underperforming?

New to Forum and new to Mustang ownership. Just bought a 2002 V6 convertible with ~23500 mi. I don't expect nor want GT performance but this V6 seems very plain. It has less get up and go than my '03 V6 Pilot and '08 Edge - both bigger & heavier cars.
I'm not looking for alot of add-ons/upgrades, just enquiring if this is "normal" performance for this base model (or if it needs mechanical help).
Thanks for any thoughts & advice.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:23 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

welcome to the forums. hope you figure it out..
Old 09-09-2013, 09:58 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

As far as v6 goes it is a bit underwhelming. The 08 is going to be pretty far ahead of the 02 tech wise which will make a big difference even with both being v6. For 02 it was average, now in 13 it's a bit behind.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:54 AM
NCGATOR

Thanks for the welcome and input. Underwhelming if the correct description. I've only had it a week so, other than an oil change, I haven't been able to spend enough time with it but I don't want to be worrying about any non-issues.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Thats strange because just today...and even needing a tune up badly.....when I would get on it mine was very powerful...it tosses me back into my seat. I bought it modded out almost and it has about 130+k miles on it too. Im not sure if the guy bored it or rebuilt the innards or something but mine is strong very strong. I do nearly 70 in 2nd gear and it's an auto. I can spin the rear tires off of it from a standing stop without brakes.

So what Im saying is either mine has stuff in it I was not told about...I know it has a tune.......or Im lucky...or there is something wrong with those who have wimpy v6s.

I should edit to say the standing start is not all the time but it has it's moments....and spin them off means spin and screech them till I change to 2nd gear...not smoking them.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:46 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by NCGATOR
Thanks for the welcome and input. Underwhelming if the correct description. I've only had it a week so, other than an oil change, I haven't been able to spend enough time with it but I don't want to be worrying about any non-issues.
Are you automatic or manual transmission? The auto transmission in new edges is only a four speed and geared for a compromise in performance and economy. Also, IIRC the automatic rear differentials in all V6 New edges were 2.73...a very tall and slow gear option. Upgrade to 3.55 or 3.73 for way better performance, especially in an automatic.

There is a full second (slower) in performance 0-60 between the auto and manuals for those reasons.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:39 AM
NCGATOR

All automatics. I wish the Mustang was manual to increase the fun factor but to find one with super low mileage was more important to me. This one will cruise the Blue Ridge Parkway and NC beach streets just fine.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:19 AM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

run a bottle of techron fuel system cleaner at about a 1/4 tank of gas put the whole bottle in and call it good. i feel your car just needs to honestly be broken in more its low low milage. i have a 04 3.9 v6 and it has nice power for a sixxer w/ 120k on stock everything.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:24 AM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Those years did not make much hp or torque. You do not really see a big leap until you hit the 2011+ v6. My wifes 2013 V6 puts down about 260 to the rear wheels. It can keep up with my GT quite well until I hit that sweet spot 2,500 rpm and then its over but that is a 5.0 so it can't be called a fair comparison. But the 2013 v6 put or more hp than some of the older GT's did. The 2002's left a lot to be desired that was really right before the muscle car come back hit hard. Once you get into 2003+ the HP started coming back with a vengeance.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:41 PM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Are you automatic or manual transmission? The auto transmission in new edges is only a four speed and geared for a compromise in performance and economy. Also, IIRC the automatic rear differentials in all V6 New edges were 2.73...a very tall and slow gear option. Upgrade to 3.55 or 3.73 for way better performance, especially in an automatic.

There is a full second (slower) in performance 0-60 between the auto and manuals for those reasons.
Auto new edge rear is 3.27

Quick Reply: V6 underperforming?