Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Spring Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 12:17 AM
cstigger04
2nd Gear Member

Default Spring Question

Ok a friend of mine just gave me his 06 GT springs, sooooooooooo having the MOD bug as bad as I do this is what I am thinking about doing. First install the spring to see what the ride height looks like then if its to high remove them and cut 1/4 of a coil at a time to get the stance that I want. What is the pro's and con's of doing this. I have done this before on other cars and it worked out ok as long as I took my time and was very careful on the measurements. The goal is to get a better handling and stiffer ride. Also let me add that I am also getting his sway bars to all for free. Thanks in advance on your thoughts.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:23 AM
Puleo76
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Spring Question

man, lol.... wish i had friends like that.... u buyin him a beer at least? lolol
ORIGINAL: cstigger04

Ok a friend of mine just gave me his 06 GT springs, sooooooooooo having the MOD bug as bad as I do this is what I am thinking about doing. First install the spring to see what the ride height looks like then if its to high remove them and cut 1/4 of a coil at a time to get the stance that I want. What is the pro's and con's of doing this. I have done this before on other cars and it worked out ok as long as I took my time and was very careful on the measurements. The goal is to get a better handling and stiffer ride. Also let me add that I am also getting his sway bars to all for free. Thanks in advance on your thoughts.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:23 AM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

never cutyour springs! it will greatly throw the spring rate off completly!! even if you measured to your hearts content the next spring you cut wont have the same springs rate.. next thing you know youll have trouble keeping your car straight as you hit a bump.. also chances are that if you cut the srping it wont sit right in its place
Old 03-09-2006, 12:27 AM
TNT1968
2nd Gear Member

The GT springs will likely put the car up in a nosebleed stance uncut due to the lighter V6. If the springs are progressive rate you may make the ride unbearable and/or dangerous by cutting them which may be the reason why people swap rather than cut them. An old Ford would have constant rate springs making the ride basically unchanged while the car gets lower. If the springs have smaller coils at the end versus the middle you have progressive rate springs. That rear sway bar will probably give you the best handling gain.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:30 AM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TNT1968

The GT springs will likely put the car up in a nosebleed stance uncut due to the lighter V6. If the springs are progressive rate you may make the ride unbearable and/or dangerous by cutting them which may be the reason why people swap rather than cut them. An old Ford would have constant rate springs making the ride basically unchanged while the car gets lower. If the springs have smaller coils at the end versus the middle you have progressive rate springs. That rear sway bar will probably give you the best handling gain.
our new machines are variable, the springs also wouldnt fit right with its upper boot placed on top, youd be unable to tighten your strut shaft bolt without the spring coking to the side
Old 03-09-2006, 03:16 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

im sorry the rears are so easy to do but the fronts are kinda a pain. i paid 245.00 for my steeda sport 1' front 1 /14 rear why would anyone cut springs anymore. im sorry i know money can be tight and i hate the 4x4 look the stock car has. but is it really to much money for a proven set. just my 2 cents
Old 03-09-2006, 02:17 PM
will_c
3rd Gear Member

Ok here's a question for you...........

Does the 06 Pony Package have the same suspension as a GT? I know it has the rear sway bar, but what about springs?
Old 03-09-2006, 02:37 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

ok how about this one. when i ordered my steeda spring kit it was the same as my bud with a gt. we put both our old springs next to each other. looked the same to us.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:52 PM
will_c
3rd Gear Member

What i'm thinking is that Ford isn't concerned enough to buy 2 different sets of springs for the GT and V6, so they put the same ones on each car...... HOWEVER, the weight difference in the GT and V6 is what accounts for the different look ( such as ride height, nose angle, etc. )
Old 03-09-2006, 03:10 PM
WindVeil05DropTop
2nd Gear Member

Long story short, never cut a spring. If you cut the spring it won't sit correctly on the strut bearing brace. Take the money you're saving on the free sway bars (I'm jealous) and go but some new springs. You'll be happy you did.

Quick Reply: Spring Question