Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 12:43 PM
MaddieMustang
1st Gear Member

Default Intakes

Does anyone suggest a particular intake, price and where to get it from? I want to get one but I'd like to hear ya'lls opinions first (sorry I'm Southern, haha). you guys have any suggestions, that would be great and much appreciated.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:01 PM
Traken
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Intakes

I'd recommend the C&L intake and XCal II combo. There are various places that carry the combos, such as Alternative Auto, Bamachips, Brenspeed and the like.

The combo will really wake up the 6er good. It's like driving a different car.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:44 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

My vote also goes to the C&L and Bamachips tuned SCT X-cal 2. Though, Doug at Bamachips is really liking the Demolet Tunable Induction intake and now has tunes for them. It doesn't look quite as nice under the hood but it may have an edge on the C&L as far as gains go. When searching for my own intake, it was between these two... I went with the C&L and have more than happy. Doug has both intakes packages with the X-cal. I don't know the price on the Tunable Induction, but the C&L combo goes for right around $650. When shopping for X-cal tunes, methinks it pays to go with a reputable tuner like Bamachips, Alternative Auto or Brenspeed.

Let us know what you decide on!
Old 04-05-2006, 01:46 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

You cant go wrong with TI or C&L, both are great intakes. Tunes from brenspeed, doug and lidio are always the best way to go.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:10 PM
MaddieMustang
1st Gear Member

The combo sounds nice but I don't understand ANYTHING that deals with the calibrator, lol.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:12 PM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

Or you could save about a hundred bucks and go with Fred at evolution performance. C&L +Xcal II, 3 custom tunes for 560.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:18 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: MaddieMustang

The combo sounds nice but I don't understand ANYTHING that deals with the calibrator, lol.
The intake brings in much more air than the stock airbox. The X-cal is a handheld tuner that adjusts the air/fuel ratio to take advantage of all this extra air coming in (if you install these intakes without a new tune, the car will barely run... if it does at all!). The X-cal does other things to help your car drive better, especially with an auto. It increases the rev and speed limiters, firms up shifts and nearly eliminates throttle lag. The combo will make you feel like you're driving a totally different car!
Old 04-05-2006, 02:19 PM
Wicked Pony
3rd Gear Member

Or you could do this intake
http://www.wmsracing.com/wmsweb/05hvi.htm
That doesnt require a tune. Not sure on horsepower gains.

[IMG]local://upfiles/30225/1BF1F71B5C494041A73BC050F5A93C68.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-05-2006, 02:19 PM
omer333
3rd Gear Member

The calibrators, whether they are SCT or Diablosport, are SUPPOSED to be very user friendly. If you get a tuner from a reputable shop, like Evolution, Brenspeed, etc. then they will have the right tune for your car based on Octane of gas, tire/wheel size, etc.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:22 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

I would stick with a intake that has documented gains, like the TI or C&L. Hamidlmt hit the nail on the head, especially in terms of throttle lag. Once you have a good tune, the car is a night and day difference. You can get the TI combo for around under 600 as well from doug, and have 195hp to boot. I've been happy with my TI, and the only other intake I would consider is the C&L, which performs the same. The TI may have a slight performance advantage over the C&L, but that C&L looks damn good at car shows.

Quick Reply: Intakes