Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

how do you wash the engine compartment?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 02:40 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Default how do you wash the engine compartment?

Just wanted some opinions an how everybody washes their engines. I haven't had to do it yet but the time will come.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:59 PM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: how do you wash the engine compartment?

Bump... I'm curious too.

I know you have to be careful in doing this because of all the electronic gadgetry nowadays. Is there a gentle shampoo product that could be sprayed into the heavily soiled areas, then use a damp cloth on all reachable surfaces?

Ken
Old 04-15-2006, 10:21 PM
Puleo76
3rd Gear Member

ooo man, i remember 1 time in my 86 i hosed down the engine bay... i know this was stupid but i honestly didnt know u shouldnt do it, lol....

so the car wouldnt start for alittle while.... lol and im thinking a lot of water got into the intercooler or something, idk... it wasnt a good idea doing that, lol.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:15 AM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

LOL yea you can spray off the engine. If I bought a $23,000 vehicle u better belive you can spray off the engine. I've done it I live in AZ the dust capitol!!! lol I just to do it to my 85 camaro and people would tell me mans thats clean for an 85!! lol You tuck away all the electronic stuff with towles and cover the spark plugs, oil fill, intake and all other important items that you commen sence don't want water on. Then I spray (soak) the thing in simple green and let it soak for about 10 then spray it off lightly with a hose. Use as little pressure as possible. Then when it dry's go through all the rubber hoses and blacked out stuff under the hood with Meguiares "Natrual shine" vinyl & rubber protectant and it will look just as good as the day you all took it off the lot meybe even better. People love it when I pop the hood and every things is all shiney under it. lol I love it too! lol
Old 04-16-2006, 01:18 AM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

You can just spray it at the car wash but leave the motor running when you do it. Thats what I've always done and no problems. If the motor is off and you spray it then its prolly not gonna start back up automatically for ya.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:00 AM
chipschwab
2nd Gear Member

I dont spray my engine or anything just because i dont like to take risks like that, they do have engine cleaning products out there, they come in a spray can and you basically spray it on the spots you want clean, they spray in a fine stream so it goes exactly where you want it, and the product is soo strong that it runs right off the engine onto the ground and takes everything with it. My dad uses it all the time on his f-150. Im a more tedious cleaner so i just get in there with a wet towel and some armorall
Old 04-20-2006, 02:57 PM
Randys06v6
1st Gear Member

if you spray your engine while its running hot even if you shut off the car and its still hot, you take a chance in cracking your block etc... heh i know from experience... and its kinda common sense
Old 04-20-2006, 03:13 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Never, ever, ever, clean your engine while it's hot, or even warm. I do mine once it's sat a while and I use a scrub brush with plain water, and a regular hose. I never soak the enine, I just scrub and hurry up and rinse off the crud. I also unplug the + side of the battery so I can clean the alternator, but be carefull. I only clean the upper intake, alternator, and my heads this way, but I try to keep the water contact to a minimum. The rest, like my plastic tubing and parts, I clean with a damp towel, then come back with armor all to make it shine as well as to help protect them.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:15 PM
CainMotorsports2102
3rd Gear Member

i get a few rags wet and make sure the engine is cool then i do it by hand. if you stay on top of it, there is no need to ever use a hose. Then i use some spray detailer and trim shine to make her bling
Old 04-20-2006, 03:44 PM
Wicked Pony
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CainMotorsports2102

i get a few rags wet and make sure the engine is cool then i do it by hand. if you stay on top of it, there is no need to ever use a hose. Then i use some spray detailer and trim shine to make her bling
+1

Quick Reply: how do you wash the engine compartment?