Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Not using H pipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 03:32 PM
Dats1NiceMustang
2nd Gear Member

Default Not using H pipe

So what do you guys think about not using a H pipe or nothing just straight duals with flowmasters
Old 05-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Trill Gear Head
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Not using H pipe

IT depends on what you prefer. Most people on this forum prefer a louder sounding exhuast, trying to get as close to the deep growl of a v8 thats possible. The closest you'll ever get to this sound will be JBA LT Headers, JBA H Pipe w/High flow cats and MRT Mufflers, or some other aftermarket mufflers. If what you want is a deep exhaust note to make those ricers crawl back into their lil caves.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:08 PM
ricanpassion
3rd Gear Member

That is the way mine is....straight duals super 40's CatBacks going to a 3.5 chrome tip...they sound nice...it also improves HP as the exhaust has a straight shot to travel rather than the H pipe or x-pipe...(At least that what Mienekie told me)
ORIGINAL: Dats1NiceMustang

So what do you guys think about not using a H pipe or nothing just straight duals with flowmasters
Old 05-02-2006, 04:15 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

Most I've talked to say you'll lose power with just straight pipes... you need some (any!) sort of crossover... y, h or x... hmm... not sure if there are any other letters LOL!
Old 05-02-2006, 04:19 PM
ricanpassion
3rd Gear Member

Ham...you think you will lose power with an h or x? I thought that the less curves & restrictions on an exhaust the better...thus going from a single to a dual (true dual) is ideal...or so I thought?
ORIGINAL: hamidlmt

Most I've talked to say you'll lose power with just straight pipes... you need some (any!) sort of crossover... y, h or x... hmm... not sure if there are any other letters LOL!
Old 05-02-2006, 06:12 PM
noir
2nd Gear Member

I've had both. Without a doubt, get an H pipe. The sound difference is incredably (in a good way) and you gain all the power back that you will lose with a true duel set up.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:26 PM
ricanpassion
3rd Gear Member

Interesting...

Exhaust "H" Pipe
The H cross over pipe, sometimes called an equilizer by muffler shops, is definitely good. It's effects were to lower peak horsepower just a bit (like 5 out of 400 that they had) and raise torque by just a bit (like 10ft/lbs). It lowered peak hp by a few hundred RPM (their test engine was a really hi-revving big block) and peak torque by a few RPM too. It mellowed out the exhaust tone and will probably increase exhaust system lifespan.

The H-pipe (crossover) equalizes the exhaust flow going out the exhaust. It also takes the harshness out of the tone. It does restrict exhaust back pressure, hence the 2 1/2 pipe. Reduction of back pressure equals more useable horsepower. Things to take into consideration are compression, horsepower at what RPM, torque at what horsepower. All I know for sure is, that for this to work correctly, the h-pipe should be as close to the headers as possible. Sometimes this will restrict transmission removeal, and/or starter removal. Since most of the time when you pull a engine or transmission, you generally drop the exhaust, so I never worried too much about it. If you do the crossover and you don't like it, you can always remove it.

The H-pipe should be placed as far forward as possible where the exhaust is hot (like right behind the header collectors). Spray the pipe with white paint and take the car for a run to find that hot spot.

Installation: Have shop weld flanges on each end of mufflers and pipes that connect to mufflers, along with center of crossover to allow removal of system very easy. Makes for better sealing also vs. U clamps.

Old 05-02-2006, 08:16 PM
sonicblue05
3rd Gear Member

i have done both, DO NOT go with dual exhaust without some kind of cross over! it sounds terrible and ricey. Basicly it will sound like 2 geo metro's (3cylinders) revving at the same time lol.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:25 PM
Dats1NiceMustang
2nd Gear Member

Well guess what i didn't put the h pipe on and your right it sounds good but better with the hp (that is what i can figure by listening to sound clips) so tomorrow i guess i will be back on my way to the muffler shop
Old 05-02-2006, 11:41 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Trill Gear Head

IT depends on what you prefer. Most people on this forum prefer a louder sounding exhuast, trying to get as close to the deep growl of a v8 thats possible. The closest you'll ever get to this sound will be JBA LT Headers, JBA H Pipe w/High flow cats and MRT Mufflers, or some other aftermarket mufflers. If what you want is a deep exhaust note to make those ricers crawl back into their lil caves.
Have you heard dual MRT's with headers in real life? I have.

Quick Reply: Not using H pipe