Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Grille Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 08:17 PM
05 Silvertible
2nd Gear Member

Default Grille Question

Can anybody tell me the diff in all of the grilles, billete and all, besides looks and cost (DUH). I know that somw say they are aluminum, some say stainless. I like the T-Rex ones but I can find some that look almost the same that cost half as much. I also dont like shopping for something like a grille over the computer...I would much rather be able to see them up close and personal before I make my mind up. I also like the ones that bolt right on and I do not have the Pony Package Does aluminum rust or tarnish (stupid question I know) I also want to be able to move my emblem to the drivers side also. I have seen some of the guys saying I got mine off ebay for $39.95 and I love it...well is it going to rust or look like crap in two years...will the T-Rex last forever... lookin' for input.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:27 PM
sonicblue05
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Grille Question

Hey,
Billet is high quality aluminum. Aluminum doesnot fust,it will tarnish over time and will need to be maintained...IE wash your car.....you should have no problems.Generally your paying alot for the name that comes with the grille. But the higher cost ones also generally have higher quality materials .Its your choice.

the ones off ebay are probably plastic coatedto look like metal, or low quality metal electroplated with something shiny. I wouldnt go with a 39.99 grille. Probably wont last and willmost likely be poor quality.

PS. where are you located (noticed the jack daniels liscense plate)?
Old 05-21-2006, 10:17 PM
05 Silvertible
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the reply... kinda what I figured...same old story, you get what you pay for !!
Guess I will go T-rex top and bumper insert.

I am in Emporia Ks, the hometown of Clint Bowyer the driver of the 07 Jack Daniel car... as a matter of fact he used to work at the dealership where I bought my silvertible. Richard Childress called him while he was at work one day and the rest is NASCAR history!
Old 05-22-2006, 01:15 AM
sonicblue05
3rd Gear Member

ah dang. I live about thirty min from the Jack Daniels Distillery.......thought maybe you did too.......REALLY cool place!
Old 05-22-2006, 12:42 PM
WindVeil05DropTop
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05 Silvertible

Can anybody tell me the diff in all of the grilles, billete and all, besides looks and cost (DUH). I know that somw say they are aluminum, some say stainless. I like the T-Rex ones but I can find some that look almost the same that cost half as much. I also dont like shopping for something like a grille over the computer...I would much rather be able to see them up close and personal before I make my mind up. I also like the ones that bolt right on and I do not have the Pony Package Does aluminum rust or tarnish (stupid question I know) I also want to be able to move my emblem to the drivers side also. I have seen some of the guys saying I got mine off ebay for $39.95 and I love it...well is it going to rust or look like crap in two years...will the T-Rex last forever... lookin' for input.

I know some of those grills are just covers; you leave your stock grille in place and the billet goes on the front. There are also grilles that completely replace the stock grille, that is what you want. Not sure on the brands though. Good luck and post some pics when you are done!