Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Dash rattle/squeak.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 02:00 AM
windveilpete
2nd Gear Member

Default Dash rattle/squeak.

I have noticed at cruising speeds, the chrome bezel around the instrument cluster rattles and squeaks. It goes away if I put my finger on it and push down a little, or if I turn up the stereo a lot. To be honest, it's kinda driving me ape#*%$. THink this is something I shoujld take in under warranty, or does anyone else have this issue, and what did you do for it?

THanks!
-pete
Old 06-14-2006, 02:06 AM
blazen351
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Dash rattle/squeak.

I didn't have it until I put on my new exhaust, now I get it around 2k RPMS up to 2500 or so then it goes away. I'm planning on looking at it closer when I do my stereo.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:13 AM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

I took mine into the dealership for a passenger dash rattle and they put foam tape under the dash and that stopped it. They'll take car of it for ya just go ask them. There is no TSB for it.

there is also a TSB for an exhaust clamp that I had done. I was hearing a slighty rattle under where the AC/Heat controls are when I would start the car after a while of sitting.

Old 06-14-2006, 02:17 AM
windveilpete
2nd Gear Member

Does your manual transmission have the "school bus" whine? My transmission is pretty loud, but it actually sounds a lot like the t-10 transmission i used to have in my Z-28.. So, I don't know - I guess I need to ride in another manual car to see if there's a difference.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:21 AM
blazen351
I ♥ Acer

nope my trans is pretty quiet. The only annoying noises I have are my dash rattle and a bit of drone from my exhaust.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:27 AM
toosober
I ♥ Acer

The only annoying noises I have in my car is when the dual airbags (Girlfriend and her Mom) are deployed in the car.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:10 PM
Green Machine 123
2nd Gear Member

i have the same rattle in the passengers side dash, its good to know the dealer will fix that. Reguarding the manual tranny i have a good whine to it, it sounds like the t5 transmission i had in my 1988 5.0L. i like the sound though (only if its normal though) if its a sign of a bad tranny please let me know.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:14 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

i got the rattle i noticed when going over bumps in teh road, its liek rattle queak rattle squeak squeak, over and over.. me and my buddy took the corner of the dash on each side and pushed it down, and it stoped

now what recently has happened is that my handbrake has about 1/4' of play and when underacceleration it vibrates, and its really annoying.. anyone know of a tsb for that? ill bring it to work and tell them to fix my car :P lol

(i work for ford but not at the dealership, their fleet center, where all the cars come in for major issues) like transmissions, motorswaps, heavy trucks etc..
Old 06-14-2006, 01:46 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Have the dealer fix it NOW. don't let them BS you with " it will probably go away over time" My rattle NEVER did. going on 7 years now since I bought my car new and I am planning on tearing into the dash in the next week or two to finally fix it. It's gotten worse since I moved to AZ.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:28 PM
996r916sps
1st Gear Member

Yeah!

Mine does the same thing, and the dealer has looked the dash multiple times. As for the transmission, mine quieted down when I changed the oil to Royal Purple at 2200 miles.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: Dash rattle/squeak.