Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Tire help... quick!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 03:29 AM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

Default Tire help... quick!

Ok guys, I need your help. I can tear down an engine, but I've all but ignored tires and such.

I got a screw in the rear passenger tire a week ago, and the car sat on the rim all night until the next morning when I noticed it. I pumped the tire up (it was a slow leak) and drove it into the garage. I jacked it up so it wouldn't be sitting on the rim, but then I had to go TDY to San Antonio for a week.

I came back last night. Today, I got one of those little tire repair kits, since it was only a damn screwhole. Well, I plugged it, but I could still hear a leak. Low and behold, it sounded like it was leaking from the bead. I looked closer, and there was a hairline crack coming up from the rim. I'm not sure what happened, but the tire is not repairable.

Should I just buy another stock tire, knowing the BFGs suck? ...or should I replace the entire set? Can I just do the back tires?

As anyone can see from my drag strip video, the ProCharger makes for a pretty severe traction problem. I'm really not into fancy rims or low-profile tires. What can I get that isn't too expensive, but is sticker than stock? Also keep in mind, I live in Colorado Springs, so I'll need tires that can get me around in the snow without slamming into curbs every 10 seconds.

I'm open for ANY ideas.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:32 AM
amystery2u
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Tire help... quick!

Are they still covered under the tire waranty (road hazzard)?
Old 06-17-2006, 04:24 AM
Rrruss
1st Gear Member

How about buying the GT take off tire/rims from Saleen? $425 plus shipping ($160 for me here in Michigan)
You get GT bullit 17" rims and Pirelli 235/55/r17 tires

This way you have the new rubber on 17" rims for the summer, and then when the weather gets bad this fall you can stick some winter tires on your current rims.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:39 AM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

@amystery2u

No warranty.

@Rrruss

That's a good idea, but I've heard of people getting them MUCH cheaper than that. I can't remember where, though.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:44 AM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Rrruss

How about buying the GT take off tire/rims from Saleen? $425 plus shipping ($160 for me here in Michigan)
You get GT bullit 17" rims and Pirelli 235/55/r17 tires

This way you have the new rubber on 17" rims for the summer, and then when the weather gets bad this fall you can stick some winter tires on your current rims.
Also, I've been all over the Saleen site and I can't seem to find what you're talking about. Can you provide a link?
Old 06-17-2006, 07:21 AM
kevinb
1st Gear Member

Here's a link to the take off parts on the Saleen website.

Saleen Take Off's

I'm ordering the GT front sway bar for $30 for my lil' pony.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:56 AM
Rrruss
1st Gear Member

It's listed under the monthly specials.

http://www.saleen.com/SC101_Services...0-1400-B12154*

I put mine on 2 days ago, moved the spinners off the premium wheels to the bullits.

Going to give them a good run today to make sure they don't need to be rebalanced, there were 2 spots where it appeared some wheel weights may have been knocked off... keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:02 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: flapjack

Ok guys, I need your help. I can tear down an engine, but I've all but ignored tires and such.

I got a screw in the rear passenger tire a week ago, and the car sat on the rim all night until the next morning when I noticed it. I pumped the tire up (it was a slow leak) and drove it into the garage. I jacked it up so it wouldn't be sitting on the rim, but then I had to go TDY to San Antonio for a week.

I came back last night. Today, I got one of those little tire repair kits, since it was only a damn screwhole. Well, I plugged it, but I could still hear a leak. Low and behold, it sounded like it was leaking from the bead. I looked closer, and there was a hairline crack coming up from the rim. I'm not sure what happened, but the tire is not repairable.

Should I just buy another stock tire, knowing the BFGs suck? ...or should I replace the entire set? Can I just do the back tires?

As anyone can see from my drag strip video, the ProCharger makes for a pretty severe traction problem. I'm really not into fancy rims or low-profile tires. What can I get that isn't too expensive, but is sticker than stock? Also keep in mind, I live in Colorado Springs, so I'll need tires that can get me around in the snow without slamming into curbs every 10 seconds.

I'm open for ANY ideas.
I dont get this.... where I grew up everybody had a spare set of rims w/ snow tires mounted on them for the winter... did this convience get lost throughout the years????
Old 06-17-2006, 12:17 PM
Rrruss
1st Gear Member

Here's a thought as a temp fix... buy a can of that "fix a flat" stuff, since the tire is bad anyway it might help get you through until you find your solution.

Also since my car is basically a weekend warrior, I don't really need to keep my premium wheels/tires as a backup.
They only have 700 miles on them, and I kept the pallet my new rims came on so I can pack these up if you or someone else is interested, say $250 plus actual shipping from Michigan? Otherwise they will just sit in my shed
Old 06-17-2006, 04:20 PM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

go to a gas station and get sum puncture repair spray or fixa-flat, it works wonders.

Paul

Quick Reply: Tire help... quick!