Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Going to the Track ...need direction....

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 11:47 PM
tino
I ♥ Acer

Default Going to the Track ...need direction....

Hello All!!!!

I am thinking of going to the track next week to see what my pony can do.... This Maryland Track I am new at this and need some direction.

a) My ride is not S/C or Turbo..... Do they put you against a class of similar power?

b) What equipment will I need? .....Safety for Driver ....Car Equipment......

c) I don't expect to win any heat, but I want to experience the ride....Any tips?

Thanks....
Old 06-22-2006, 11:55 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Going to the Track ...need direction....

Man, I need to hit capitol!!! Too many members here go to that track. Ok, my answers below.

ORIGINAL: tino

Hello All!!!!

I am thinking of going to the track next week to see what my pony can do.... This Maryland Track I am new at this and need some direction.

a) My ride is not S/C or Turbo..... Do they put you against a class of similar power?
No, if it is test and tune you just run with everyone else.

Depends on the track, but I would invest in a snell2000 helmet. Most tracks don't require helmets for cars slower than 12's. Call the track and find out the what thier rules are, but I would get a helmet. Scrming and I got the Gforce open face helmets, easier to wear when its hot out.

c) I don't expect to win any heat, but I want to experience the ride....Any tips?
-turn od off
-what tires are you running? pneros, put the rears at 30psi

Here is a link to some good write ups:

http://american-speed.com/collective...splay.php?f=10

At the top is some sticky's that I found helpful when I was a newb and technially, I still am LOL.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:58 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

Here's everything you need to know your first time out...
http://american-speed.com/collective...hread.php?t=63

To more specifically answer some of your questions...

a) They try and line you up against cars with similar capabilities, but it's sometimes the luck of the draw. For instance, my first time at the track, I had 3 runs against 3 different Mustangs. A 95-98 GT (blew 'im away), a Cobra (he blew me away!) and a 99-04 GT (it was close, but he edged me out).

b) Just the safetly equipment already in your car, such as seat belts. Most tracks require a helmet only if your trap speed is below a certain point. If your stock and close to it, you probably don't need one... but, check your track's rules. And, most tracks require you wear long pants and shoes.

c) See the link above! And, drive like ya stole it!
Old 06-22-2006, 11:58 PM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

Hello All!!!!

Thanks....
Go towards the end of the track past the cheering people
Old 06-23-2006, 12:03 AM
tino
I ♥ Acer

Awsome Guys!!!

Thanks, I'll read over the links....

About the OD I have a stick.... Also being mostly stock (sort of ) I don't think I'll get to 120mph....(right?) so I shouldn't take the limiter off?

TCS off?
Old 06-23-2006, 12:43 AM
jericho73
3rd Gear Member

Awsome Guys!!!

Thanks, I'll read over the links....

About the OD I have a stick.... Also being mostly stock (sort of ) I don't think I'll get to 120mph....(right?) so I shouldn't take the limiter off?

TCS off?
There is no way you'll come close to a 120 mph trap speed, or even 113 where the stock limiter is, so no you don't need to remove the limiter.

Besides that, don't get nervous and remember its just for fun. Don't worry about r/t your first couple of runs, your clock doesn't start till you pass the line anyway. Just get your launch down, that's the most important thing.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:51 AM
Justin_R
5th Gear Member

So if you have an automatic you should turn off OD when drag racing? And since I dont have the Pneros what would be a good tire pressure to run?
Old 06-23-2006, 01:51 AM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

yeah... on autos, switch off the OD.

For stock BFG's... I think I'd run around 30 psi on the rears, same as the P-neros.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:53 AM
teacherman
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jericho73

Besides that, don't get nervous and remember its just for fun. Don't worry about r/t your first couple of runs, your clock doesn't start till you pass the line anyway. Just get your launch down, that's the most important thing.

Since we are on this topic of tracks, I always wondered. Has anyone seen a car get pretty damaged with someone being nervous behind the wheel. I ask because I know that I would be nervous as hell and most likely destroy my car.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:56 AM
acstone7
3rd Gear Member

When using my stock BFG's i put the tires between 25-30 PSI....my best times were @ 27psi in the rears, keep ur fronts @ the stock 35 psi you need as much air as you can get up there...And yes do turn off your OD so you dont go into 5th gear cuz u will lol. I noticed a couple tenths diff

Quick Reply: Going to the Track ...need direction....