Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

REAL CAI

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 02:41 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

Default REAL CAI

DOes anyon eknow of a real cold air intake for our cars not just an air intake such as the VOlant systems (they dont make one for the 05 stang yet) ?
Old 06-29-2006, 03:23 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: REAL CAI

What do you mean by real? Aren't the DeMolet, C&L, AFE, K&N, etc. real?
Old 06-29-2006, 03:32 PM
jericho73
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: beaustang

They aren't traditional CAI's. They're more like SRI's <short ram intake> in that they still sit in the engine bay and suck hot air in much like an SRI. A true CAI snakes down from the IM to one of the wheel wells usually and thus sucks up cooler air and gets better gains by doing so.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:04 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Oh, I learned something new today!
ORIGINAL: jericho73

ORIGINAL: beaustang

They aren't traditional CAI's. They're more like SRI's <short ram intake> in that they still sit in the engine bay and suck hot air in much like an SRI. A true CAI snakes down from the IM to one of the wheel wells usually and thus sucks up cooler air and gets better gains by doing so.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:12 PM
CMCs05pony
2nd Gear Member

Haven't seen one yet made specifically for the 05+ stang. get some pvc and some elbows (or some 3" plastic dryer vent) and run a tube from you lower front grill into your stock airbox and get a k&n drop in filter.

or do what everyone else did and get a regular SRI and settle for 5 hp less than a true CAI.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:23 PM
KnotBand
I ♥ Acer

if you did that, how would you go about tuning the car?

I made my own intake actaully with a cone filter from Autozone and some 3"diameter dryer vent, but i took it off because the CEL came on and I didn't know if I could get a tune for it.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:29 PM
CMCs05pony
2nd Gear Member

my original post was meant more as a laugh...

you could bring colder air to the stock airbox with the tubing or whatever and put in a K&N drop in filter. doing this wouldn't require a tune, but the hp increase would likely be less than with a SRI.

your homemade intake... did you replace or alter the stock airbox & intake plumbing? if all the sensors are still in place, I can't for the life of me understand why doing the above would cause the CEL to come on. the tubing would bring colder air in and the high efficiency filter will pass more air to the motor, but neither should have much of an affect on the AF mix...

did you figure out what the problem was??
Old 06-29-2006, 04:31 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

iI haven't seen any true cai for our car yet, but hopefully somebody comes out with one. You can get far cooler temps with a real cai and it is worth an extra 30 install time.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:34 PM
KnotBand
I ♥ Acer

well, the problem was that i was running to lean and out of spec, so I got the CEL. I had Autozone check the code for me, and it said A/F ratio was out of spec. If you bring in to much air and don't retune the computer, you get a CEL for running to lean. Replacing the stock box and filter with a cone filter and larger intake tube will do this.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:38 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

if you built a true cai you could get a custom tune for it.

Quick Reply: REAL CAI