Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Gears

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 07:51 PM
blazen351
I ♥ Acer

Default Gears

I know the general consensus is that 3.73's are prefered on a manual tranny. I'm curious though if any of you other stick drivers have gone with 4.10's though and if so what you thought of them on your manual. I'm going to be buying my gears and Tlock soon and while I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with 3.73's I'm intrigued by the 4.10's, I would just think that those coupled with the manny that Lola would be a beast of the line. I don't do much highway driving so that's not really an issue for me. Anyways looking forward to hearing what you all think.

Ok Now for a rant....

Have you ever noticed that idiots travel in packs and that stupidity is an infectious disease? I swear if they ever legalise road rage I will be the CURE!! I'm driving behind some sh** kid in an Acord earlier and he's tossing @#&*%^! sun flower seed shells out his sun roof and they kept hitting my hood, and I'm like a freaking car length behind him (wind) But he started this at an intersection when I was right behind him. It was PISSING ME OFF!!!! I couldn't pass him because we were in heavy traffic, but I was waiting for traffic to stop again so I could get out and drag him out his window out pummel him in the middle of traffic. Unfortunatly/fortunatley (depending on perspectve) he turned off on to a side street before I got a chance to. AND THEN not even two minutes later I had some POS Blazer come with an inch of rear ending me while I was getting ready to make a left turn. Man I hate people sometimes. It's like all the idiots decided to hit the road at once today, I had a couple of other encounters with morons on the road today too, but I'll save you the details. Anyways, just had to vent!
Old 06-30-2006, 08:12 PM
toosober
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Gears

You should get a shack in Montana and start sending people letters. lol
Old 06-30-2006, 11:57 PM
HxCory
2nd Gear Member

If you don't do a lot of highway driving, get the 4.10's!
Old 07-01-2006, 12:02 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Try driving for a week without using 5th gear... if you can survive that you can survive 4.10s... LOL!
Old 07-01-2006, 12:04 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scrming

Try driving for a week without using 5th gear... if you can survive that you can survive 4.10s... LOL!

Lidio tried to get me to swap out the 4.10s because I was having such a hard time hooking at the track on the juice.. but I wouldn't give them up!!! They are way to much fun going from stop light to stop light! LOL! (i never sprayed on the streeet)..

Old 07-01-2006, 12:18 AM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

there that good?? dont u have to shift into 4th tho in the 1/4??

Paul
Old 07-01-2006, 12:40 AM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

I was at my dealership's service department yesterday, discussing the possibility of 3.73's or even 4.10's. The guy I spoke to told me that if I did this it would reduce my power. Huh??? As I understand it, these gears would increase your acceleration, right? It's possible this guy just didn't really understand what I was asking, or perhaps gears weren't his strong suit. He rambled about how first gear is way too brief already, and that 3.73's would mean you'd be doing that much more shifting.

Thoughts?

Ken
Old 07-01-2006, 01:33 AM
fazm
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: paulboy16

there that good?? dont u have to shift into 4th tho in the 1/4??

Paul
I have to shift into 4th in the quarter with 3.73s and im naturally aspirated.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:34 AM
fazm
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ken Rogers

I was at my dealership's service department yesterday, discussing the possibility of 3.73's or even 4.10's. The guy I spoke to told me that if I did this it would reduce my power. Huh??? As I understand it, these gears would increase your acceleration, right? It's possible this guy just didn't really understand what I was asking, or perhaps gears weren't his strong suit. He rambled about how first gear is way too brief already, and that 3.73's would mean you'd be doing that much more shifting.

Thoughts?

Ken

gears will help you off the line, drastically. Once moving (say 35-55mph) a car with stock gearing, and same power... is probably going to be dead even/starting to pull away.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:59 AM
Harry_F
3rd Gear Member

in answer to the dealership question, the guy is a moron. there is no power loss. and if there was why would people on here buy gears. secondly, i was at a dealership called autoquest (just looking around) and i was sitting in a Carrera GT (no im not lying) and im like how fast is this in the 1/4 mile (to the car salesman) and hes like "oh well it cant be very long probably about only 4-5 seconds. then before i could stop my self i sarcastically said "man thats as fast as a top fuel dragster!" so yeah salesmen are idiots.

Quick Reply: Gears