Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Rocker Panel Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 02:15 AM
orion6g
2nd Gear Member

Default Rocker Panel Problem

Last year I was driving right some road construction downtown where they decided to tear up a bunch of pavement near the curb and not put up any signs. Being down low I could not see this and back wheel slipped into the hole and the rocker panel was hit below. The Panel wasn't loosened so I thought nothing of it until I looked under my car this year and saw that the bottom was not lining up right and some of the bottom was cracked. I took it off, put it back on but it still doesn't fit right (a little bit too high). I am taking my car in for warrenty for a different issue in 2 weeks and don't want them to see the bottom of the rocker panel and say that I caused the front right wheeel studs to come loose (I'm just paranoid...). The upper clips are not broken and some of the lower ones are just partly cracked, so I just wanted to know if the little "screw-like" clips on the bottom could just be replaced to pull the panel down and into the car it should be (I can move it there by hand). Anybodyelse had a pproblem similar to this??

PIC 1 = Bad Rocker Panel (not all of the screw clip parts were cracked like in pic)

PIC 2 = Good Rocker Panel

Old 07-01-2006, 02:22 AM
fazm
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Rocker Panel Problem

whats happened is the rocker panel itself is bent/cracked. Youd have to replace it, i would recommend gt takeoffs, since 1) its cheaper and 2) looks better.

The clips hold it UP, they wont make it sit any lower.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:37 AM
tino
I ♥ Acer

Talk to Paulboy16 he says he can get really good pricing on take offs....
Old 07-01-2006, 10:20 AM
TNT1968
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fazm

whats happened is the rocker panel itself is bent/cracked. Youd have to replace it, i would recommend gt takeoffs, since 1) its cheaper and 2) looks better.

The clips hold it UP, they wont make it sit any lower.
GT rocker panels looking better is your opinion. IMO they make the body of the car look fatter.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:17 AM
whatdaproblemis0
3rd Gear Member

I think the stock v6 ones serve no purpose but thats my opinion. Fords stupid idea to have them in the first place as a color not matching your car unless you have black and even then they are not shiny with the clearcoal/paint job. But everyone has their own opinion. If you were to get a chin spoiler it may look a little better being the same color as the rocker panel.

GT rocker panels looking better is your opinion. IMO they make the body of the car look fatter.
being fatter is your opinion, I think they look damn sexy and give the car a lower profile.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:28 AM
TNT1968
2nd Gear Member

That's why I said IMO- in my opinion. Fazm said that GT rockers look better as if it was a statement of fact. Someone else thinks that the black rocker slims the car's look - Carroll Shelby. To each his own.

Old 07-01-2006, 01:51 PM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

i personaly think EVERYTHING thats black plastic MUST be painted... or it looks like a vacum formed part made for a economy car. it looks what it is, cheap.

But each to his own, and if u want painted rockers i can get them for much less than the black plastic ones = great upgrade.

Paul
Old 07-01-2006, 03:13 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TNT1968

That's why I said IMO- in my opinion. Fazm said that GT rockers look better as if it was a statement of fact. Someone else thinks that the black rocker slims the car's look - Carroll Shelby. To each his own.

Thats where you are wrong. They teach you in school that when someone says something it is only their opinion, unless stating clearly it is a fact, or a definitive answer. For example if i say "ford is better than chevy" That is my opinion. I didnt state it, but it is, and thats how it should be interpretted.
Old 07-01-2006, 04:58 PM
TNT1968
2nd Gear Member

Fazm: Just because you say I am wrong does not make it so.

When you are in school what they teach you is supposed to be fact. That's why your answers on the tests are supposed to repeat what the teacher told you. On your test you don't write "Mrs --- said that this is the answer but I'm not sure what the answer is".

Someone new to forums might take what you say as Gospel and confuse it with opinion when you say something on their Mustang doesn't look good. A guy asked about how to fix his rocker panel and you in effect said to replace both rockers with painted ones because the ones he had did not look good anyway.