Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Droning question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 12:38 AM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

Default Droning question

Ok i had a question i just put on the duals, and i was wondering what droning was. Read a couple other threads and i heard that some people had problems with droning. Could someone give me an example of droning?
Old 07-17-2006, 01:54 AM
Action_Jackson
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Droning question

I am not 100% on this, but have you ever heard someone tune a guitar? When they hit the 2 notes in the chord and turn one of the tuning ***** the two strings will be off just enough that you hear a repetative wah wah sound untill the two strings are brought into tune. I believe it to be something similar to this where the exhaust notes are slightly off producing a reverberation or droning sound inside the car. The accoustics of the car play a role in this also as the sound travels inside the car and bounces back and forth. This can become very anoying on long trips, but you may not notice it much just daily driving.

I have a single flowmaster and my car does this with the music sometimes. If the base note of a base guitar is close to my exhaust note it makes this wah wah sound inside the car. The exhaust it pretty loud by itself at aroud 80mph anyway.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:28 AM
Horrific_Ending
4th Gear Member

hmm i c. Will this go away when the mufflers are broken in?
Old 07-17-2006, 11:41 AM
BlueStang6
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Horrific_Ending

hmm i c. Will this go away when the mufflers are broken in?
Probably not. You see, all pipes have a frequency at which "drone" will occur depending on the length and diameter of the pipe. This frequency usually occurs between 1800 and 2200 RPM. The drone in our cars are a combination of the pipe and how the muffler is chambered so the only way to fix the problem is to change the length of the pipe, change the muffler or insert a resonator that will change the frequency at which drone will occur (somewhere in the higher RPM range which you will rarely spend much time). Changing the length of the exhaust pipe is not feasible, getting new mufflers may not be an alternative if you like the sound of the one you have, so the only other thing is to get resonators installed. Its not expensive and it works.

John

Old 07-17-2006, 11:44 AM
CMCs05pony
2nd Gear Member

DO YOU HAVE A CROSSOVER LIKE AN X OR H PIPE?

oops... sorry bout the caps.

droning occurs when the exhaust travels through and exits each pipe at the same time at the same speed. since you have two sources providing the same noise at the same frequency at the same time, you get resonance or droning.. a lot like Horrific's guitar example. A crossover helps eliminate this, as would installing devices called resonators at different distances from the exits of each tailpipe. These would slow the exhaust flow at different points in each pipe, eliminating the resonant effect.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:52 AM
Explaced
1st Gear Member

Basically what everyone else has said so far. It's the loud "ooohhhhmmmm" sound you get when your car is running at a certain RPM. It's higher pitched on the V6, but it's still there. I had an 03 GT with MAC and a X pipe, and it definitely had drone.

I think drone is cool. I drone it out when I'm in the car by myself. 4th gear at 55-60 is nice!
Old 07-17-2006, 09:09 PM
SparkYZ
2nd Gear Member

When I get my X with Borlas.....Im just scared of having a Ricer Drone.....

Dear god i hate ricers..