Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Exhaust Problem/Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 09:54 PM
micx7
1st Gear Member

Default Exhaust Problem/Questions

Ok so I had someone put on the GT Takeoff in the mean time today until I can get it to a professional. He only used two of the bolts and he actually lost the other 2. 1 are tight on each hanger and it doesn't rattle or have much movement. He also wasnt able to get the muffler to connect into the pipe all the way, the bolt is about a quarter inch away from touching the muffler. The muffler isnt rubbing against anything and it sounds pretty good, so I will leave it this way till the weekend when I have more time or I can take it in. Do you see any problems this could be causing. It really seems like it's on there tight so I'm hoping it will hold till friday but I will check the bolts periodically.

One last question is, I tried two hardware stores and a car parts store and none of them had the same size bolt as ford uses to bolt on the hangers, any idea where to get replacements?
Old 07-19-2006, 10:05 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust Problem/Questions

the dealership sells the bolts i wouldnt take it to a professional place as its so easy that it a waste of money to get it installed unless your going duals
Old 07-19-2006, 10:10 PM
micx7
1st Gear Member

not so easy when the muffler you got came with bent hangers completely out of place, unless I am missing something this isn't easy. Given I am an amateur at this. Let me make sure I have this correct,
One hanger bolts over around the center of the muffler and one goes all the way back by the bumper. Squeeze the pipes in till the bolt hits the notch. I did that and it did not line up properly and the brackets would not line up with their holes. When you installed it, did you mount the hangers to the muffler before putting it up, or did you screw in the brackets and slide the muffler in? Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:53 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

when id id it i couldnt get it to fit either on the front hanger. so i bolted up the back hanger and attached the front hanger to the muffler first then i slid it into the back hanger and ajusted the hanger by the bumper to fit on it does seem like they are bent but they arent also the hanger by the bumper is weird it doesnt go on the same way as the back bumper so when attached they look different when you connect it the tip will probably be touching your bumper need to put a bat into the pipe and bend it down a little bit ( use a metal bat) hope this helped if not lemme know and ill try to get some pictures or i think someone has posted some already
Old 07-20-2006, 04:05 AM
micx7
1st Gear Member

helped somewhat, that could be the problem. Pics of the hanger locations and the way theyre bolted on as well as the point of connection to the actual pipe would be great. Mine is hanging about 2 inches below the bumper.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:14 PM
micx7
1st Gear Member

Went to ford today and ordered 4 new bolts should be in tomorrow so in the mean time i just have to hope i dont hit any huge pot holes lol. The dealer I bought it from showed me a GT they have there with the dual Borlas...... come on now I would never be able to get out of the car for the simple fact thered be people outside pissed off I just set off their house alarm.