Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

4.0 Convertable weight

Old 08-02-2006, 03:58 AM
Pimpin Pony
2nd Gear Member

Default 4.0 Convertable weight

Does the V6 Convertable really weigh 4420 lbs? I remember reading a post about how much the 4.0 mustang weighed and it was like in the low 3000's or somethin so I looked at some stickers that were in my door sill and it said that my car weighed 4420 lbs... I knew that the convertable weighed more, but I had no idea that it weighed that much more. Is this the real weight or did I misread the sticker or somethin?
Old 08-02-2006, 09:49 AM
QWKYNUF

Default RE: 4.0 Convertable weight

The door sticker is not going to show the curb weight of your car. What is does show is GVWR, or Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. This is the maximum total weight that the car should be loaded to, if you were to weigh it with a full tank of gas, you, the wife, girlfriend, cooler, luggage, kids, etc.

Looked at another way, if you were to subtract the curb weight from the GVWR, you would have the total weight of people and stuff you can safely carry in the car.

QWKYNUF
Old 08-02-2006, 10:28 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

QWKYNUF Date 8/2/2006 7:49:47 AM
The door sticker is not going to show the curb weight of your car. What is does show is GVWR, or Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. This is the maximum total weight that the car should be loaded to, if you were to weigh it with a full tank of gas, you, the wife, girlfriend, cooler, luggage, kids, etc.

Looked at another way, if you were to subtract the curb weight from the GVWR, you would have the total weight of people and stuff you can safely carry in the car.

QWKYNUF
OK, if no one else will comment -

It is never a good idea to go out with your wife and your girlfriend at the same time! [&:]

QWKYNUF, that was a v. good explaination on GVWR. To the original poster, I do not know the curb weight of our ragtops. Can anyone else chime in with that info?
Old 08-02-2006, 11:21 AM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

We weigh in at 3633# which is 125# heavier than the coupe. Our weight to HP ratio is 17.3#/HP; this info comes from Motor Trend.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:34 PM
QWKYNUF

ORIGINAL: 28hopup

It is never a good idea to go out with your wife and your girlfriend at the same time! [&:]

QWKYNUF, that was a v. good explaination on GVWR. To the original poster, I do not know the curb weight of our ragtops. Can anyone else chime in with that info?
I threw that in to see if anyone would notice!

But in my defense, I never said MY wife and MY girlfriend....

Could have been one of the kid's girlfriends....

Really, honey <WHACK>

No, Really - it was a joke! <WHACK>

But.......<WHACK>

for once...NOT QWKYNUF....
Old 08-02-2006, 07:43 PM
sa3geabx
2nd Gear Member

Why do they weigh more? I thought because of the canvas top as opposed to the coupe's top, it'd be less. Is it the motor that runs the roof?
Old 08-02-2006, 08:51 PM
JimC

Although the top weighs less, because there is no top the frame has to be beefed up to make up for the lack of structural support. At least that was the case with 1965 Mustang convertible.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:23 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: QWKYNUF

ORIGINAL: 28hopup

I threw that in to see if anyone would notice!

But in my defense, I never said MY wife and MY girlfriend....

Could have been one of the kid's girlfriends....

Really, honey <WHACK>

No, Really - it was a joke! <WHACK>

But.......<WHACK>

for once...NOT QWKYNUF....

You guys crack me up.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:37 PM
jericho73
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Pimpin Pony

Does the V6 Convertable really weigh 4420 lbs? I remember reading a post about how much the 4.0 mustang weighed and it was like in the low 3000's or somethin so I looked at some stickers that were in my door sill and it said that my car weighed 4420 lbs... I knew that the convertable weighed more, but I had no idea that it weighed that much more. Is this the real weight or did I misread the sticker or somethin?
According to Edmonds.com, Car and Driver reviews and other sources, Edmonds only has the coupe weighs, I got the GT vert weight from C&D and extrapellated the v6 vert weight from that, so take it for what its worth, these are the weight # for differnt s197 Mustangs-note these are all manual-

V6-3373
GT-3488
v6 vert-3558
GT vert-3673

Now Car & Driver tested a v6 auto and listed a weight of 3444, about 70lbs over the manual v6. So figure about +70 lbs for the auto tranny,and of course anything else added to the car <abs, trac, 17 bullits etc> adds weight.

So for auto off the lot you'd have-

v6-3444
GT-3559
v6 vert-3629
GT vert-3744

like i said, just rough estimates to give an idea-
Old 08-07-2006, 04:43 PM
Pimpin Pony
2nd Gear Member

thanks I appreciate it.... I knew that number that I was looking at seemed aweful high....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4.0 Convertable weight