Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Remote Start Q's

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 05:31 PM
micx7
1st Gear Member

Default Remote Start Q's

Well I dont know if this would fall under any of the sub categories so I'm posting it here. My neighbor has a 06 GT with remote start and they installed the receiever on his windshield and it looks pretty ugly imo. I would like to get remote start but not if I'm goign to have that receiever hanging there. My question is have any of you done it and if so, where is the receiever located. I would like a concealed location like maybe under the steering wheel and I want to know if its possible or if anyone has ever done it. Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:57 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Remote Start Q's

i dunno where people put it but ive never actually seen the reciever before so im geussing they put it whereever the keyless entry reciever is
Old 08-02-2006, 06:00 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

I have Remote on mine... and there is a receiver, but it is a TINY little thing mounted right where my windshield meets the roofline behind my mirror. Not a problem for me!
Old 08-02-2006, 06:04 PM
micx7
1st Gear Member

Yeah its not very big the problem is on his it's on the left side of the windshield, maybe about 6 inches above the registration on the egde of the glass. Just looks ugly imo, Prof. Wizard you wouldn't happen to have a picture would you?
Old 08-02-2006, 08:15 PM
joshetc
2nd Gear Member

how much does one of those + install run anyway? I was sorta thinking about getting one so I dont freeze my *** off in the winter like with my old car
Old 08-02-2006, 08:22 PM
micx7
1st Gear Member

I've seen around 400 for the good units. Has anyone done the install for one of these themselves and if so, how difficult is it?
Old 08-02-2006, 10:52 PM
workshop4ever
2nd Gear Member

I did one on a Toyota Celica that I used to have. I bought the starter from Best Buy for $50 and did the install myself. The install was super easy (just as easy as wiring a stereo). All you do is connect the wires they tell you to connect (color coded). The only other thing I needed was a diode to protect voltage from going backwards through the system. That was just as easy to do. If you need help at all PM me. It may be "suggested" to put the reciever on the windshield to maximize the distance you can start it from, but I mounted my reciever underneath the dash where it wouldn't be seen and I could still start my car from the other end of the supermarket parking lot.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:32 PM
micx7
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info, have a few more questions. Sent you a pm.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:59 AM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

The cheapest I have seen is $160 installed for a remote start system.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:17 AM
F00Mustang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black06stang

The cheapest I have seen is $160 installed for a remote start system.

That $160 is probably for just a remote start system, NOT AN ALARM, just something that will start your car via remote. My shop offers the same thing at about the same price, but that price doesn't include the key bypass for newer cars. A good remote start alarm will usually run about $400 install. Be carefull of shops that will give out prices like $200 - if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. But DO look into if you see a shop offering one on sale for about $350, this may be a legit bargin.

A good remote start unit for your car will probably run about $500 total installed with the key bypass install, plus you will need to give the shop your spare key to install in a module under the dash.

As for the antaenna, you can request for the installer to mount it under the dashboard will you will not see it, but don't go back to the shop complaining about the range of the transmitter, especially if it is a good 2way system like the Viper 791XV. This will significantly affect the range of the remote, probably cutting it in half. At least that is what my customers tell me.

I actually manage a car audio shop in the New Orleans area, so I have a great deal of experience in the realm of remote start and alarm systems. In my experience, DEI (the owners and parent company of Viper, Clifford, Python, ect.) have the best systems, and you can get support from just about any shop worth it's salt nation wide, including any Best Buy. Be warry of internet deals and no-name brands, not because they may not work or because of quality, but because even if something simple happens to any part of the alarm, you may have difficulty finding a shop that can work on it.

I had a customer who brought me a brand of remote start alarm that he found on ebay for $40 for my shop to install, which we did and even though no one had ever heard of the brand before, it worked fine. He came back in about 6 months later because he had lost one remote and the other was only working now and then, he wanted to see if we could do anything. Unfortunately, we couldn't find anthing for him anywhere, and he ended up having to have the alarm pulled out and he bought a Viper unit.

Quick Reply: Remote Start Q's