Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

should the dealership pay?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 05:58 PM
stargazer468
1st Gear Member

Default should the dealership pay?

I just bought my 05 mustang used from a dodge dealership and found out that someone put a new gear and a some type of limited slip differential in the back. They also tuned it somehow... but badly. It's starting to run a little rough and I talked to a guy at performance autosport who said it would be about 550 bucks to fix. (400 for the SCT2 and 150 for an hour of dyno runs). He also stressed how important it was for the car to get fixed soon, which I already knew. Could I go back to the dealership and ask them to pay for this since they did not disclose this to me at the time of sale?
Old 08-31-2006, 06:00 PM
S2K1
1st Gear Member

Default RE: should the dealership pay?

If you pulled it off the lot and it happened right then, yeah I think they should. If it happened a few weeks down the road after getting it, it will depend on how much your dealer likes you.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:01 PM
enorym
2nd Gear Member

Personaly I dont go to dealerships or any shops...if you do, go to a shop that people on here would suggest. First...get two diagnoses from diffrent shops...Second if your car came with a warrenty after you bought it used they have to honor it.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:02 PM
stargazer468
1st Gear Member

Yeah performance autosport is a shop I've heard people recommend many times on here. I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask the dealer.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:11 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

well at least you got the gears and limited slip already you saved your self like 600-800 bucks =) get a sct and tune from evoperform or something and see if that fixes it o_O
Old 08-31-2006, 06:14 PM
stargazer468
1st Gear Member

I guess thats the good thing I mean I am getting a tuner and 3 custom tunes for 550 bucks
Old 08-31-2006, 06:26 PM
Pyrat
3rd Gear Member

You should be able to get the XCAL2 for between $279 and $399 with the three (87/91/93 octane) tunes. This might fix your problem with out the dyno time. You could also take the car to Ford and have them reinstall the stock tune, but this might cost as more than it's worth. The $550 for the tuner and dyno time doesn't sound like such a bad deal though. He can adjust the speedometer to read accurately with your gears and you get a custom tune just for your car.

When you use an XCAL2 on your car for the first time it downloads the stock tune, so basically you have 4 tunes, stock and the 3 factory tunes. In your case, assuming you are correct, the car does not have a stock tune so the XCAL2 would download this tune. Ask your tuner/dealer if he can put a stock Mustang tune on the XCAL2 or upload one to your car before you use the XCAL2 for the first time.

Another thing you might try, and I've only heard this online, is to remove the battery for a half hour or so, then reinstall it. From what I heard this forces the computer to recalibrate and might help with the way your vehicle is running. Again, this is hear-say and may not make any difference, but it's a cheap test.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:30 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

one other thing did you pop the hood to seeif he installed a cai? he might have if there is a tune in which case you dont want the stock tune
Old 08-31-2006, 06:55 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Pyrat

You should be able to get the XCAL2 for between $279 and $399 with the three (87/91/93 octane) tunes. This might fix your problem with out the dyno time. You could also take the car to Ford and have them reinstall the stock tune, but this might cost as more than it's worth. The $550 for the tuner and dyno time doesn't sound like such a bad deal though. He can adjust the speedometer to read accurately with your gears and you get a custom tune just for your car.

When you use an XCAL2 on your car for the first time it downloads the stock tune, so basically you have 4 tunes, stock and the 3 factory tunes. In your case, assuming you are correct, the car does not have a stock tune so the XCAL2 would download this tune. Ask your tuner/dealer if he can put a stock Mustang tune on the XCAL2 or upload one to your car before you use the XCAL2 for the first time.

Another thing you might try, and I've only heard this online, is to remove the battery for a half hour or so, then reinstall it. From what I heard this forces the computer to recalibrate and might help with the way your vehicle is running. Again, this is hear-say and may not make any difference, but it's a cheap test.

That's a heck of an idea... how many miles on the car? Less than 36,000? Doesn't the original factory warranty transfer? Get the local Ford dealership to flash it back to stock... You're speedometer will be off because of the gears... but at least you would see if the car runs better...
Old 08-31-2006, 08:18 PM
Puerto Rico 4.6
3rd Gear Member

I seriously doubt the someone sold/traded in their car and left the sct tune in . If he did that then his tuner would be worthless ..he might as well have left it back with the car. Maybe it does have a CAi and since its running with the stock tune thats whats causing the problems. If the car has a tune in there , th shop is going to have trouble uploading the new xcal since there is no stock tune to retrieve ans lock down the xcal2. Good Luck

Quick Reply: should the dealership pay?