Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

ENGINE FAILSAFE MODE

Old 09-12-2006, 04:45 PM
windveilpete
2nd Gear Member

Default ENGINE FAILSAFE MODE

Weird.

A few weeks ago, while I was contemplating switching to a GT for the 0% finance.... I went back to the stock tune. When I finished uploading the stock tune, a message came up that said engine failsafe mode. I didn't thinka nything of it, I figured it was just the computer telling me it had been reset, and would need to "relearn" everything.... So, today, I decide that after my close call playing with a V6 chevy malibu last night, it was time to go back to a performance tune. I loaded the 87 tune, and again, the Display says ENGINE FAILSAFE MODE. No CEL, and if i turn the car off and on again, it doesn't say it again.

I don't remember it doing this before I flashed it back to stock again, but then again, I haven't loaded many tunes and could have missed it. Is this normal, or is my stock tune now corrupt and warranty trashed?
Old 09-12-2006, 05:18 PM
steve_stang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: ENGINE FAILSAFE MODE

I had the same problem with my superchips tuner when It came back from warranty work for another issue (speed limter). I read in the owner’s manual that Failsafe mode has to do with the engine coolant and heating, when the car is in failsafe mode it will not produce as much power the engine may be clunky and steering and braking can be degraded. You will notice it when you are driving if you drive it with the fail safe mode light present. If it goes away and doesn’t seem to be driving different then I would assume it is just tripping the computer to think it should be in fail safe mode. I sent mine back to superchips and they are currently looking into it. They will either fix or replace it. The only difference is when mine is in Stock setting I don’t get this fail safe mode displayed; only comes on in 91 tune.

Call the tuner company and talk to a representative

Cheers,