Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Speaker ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 02:04 AM
ucdgreek
1st Gear Member

Default Speaker ?

I have the Shaker 500 in my mustang. Im looking to replace the two rear crappy speakers with something that actually works. I am happy with the Shaker 500 head unit as well as as the two subs and the front speakers. So please no responses that say get a new headunit.
i know the good brands of speakers but my problem is that i want to find speakers that sound good when playing rap music. So if anyone has first hand experience i would be very grateful.
thanks in advance for all the responses.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:43 PM
Ant69
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Speaker ?

I don't listen to only one kind of music but this might help. My Brother's a custom installer and his advise on my install was to keep the stock speakers until I blow em! Believe it or not even the most expensive speakers out there are not going to improve your sound by that much as long as they are in good condition. The stock speakers are just not that bad of quality. Unless you add significant power you shouldn't be pushing those speakers too much anyway. Try playing with the EQ a little more to balance out the sound at a higher volume then turn it back down to the normal listening level, or ad subs in a box in the trunk to help with the balance, bigger speakers for lower tones. Other than that I personnally like the RF's
Old 11-28-2006, 07:22 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ant69

I don't listen to only one kind of music but this might help. My Brother's a custom installer and his advise on my install was to keep the stock speakers until I blow em! Believe it or not even the most expensive speakers out there are not going to improve your sound by that much as long as they are in good condition. The stock speakers are just not that bad of quality. Unless you add significant power you shouldn't be pushing those speakers too much anyway. Try playing with the EQ a little more to balance out the sound at a higher volume then turn it back down to the normal listening level, or ad subs in a box in the trunk to help with the balance, bigger speakers for lower tones. Other than that I personnally like the RF's
actually.... the back rear deck speaker are pretty cheap junk... I replaced those and made quite a difference... now the door speakers are different... they are component speakers and are pretty good...

udc, I know you don't want to hear it... but if you are going to spend any money on upgrading the stereo... put in a new headunit...
Old 11-28-2006, 08:49 PM
Ant69
2nd Gear Member

IMO at the cranked up volume most of us listen to the tones in RAP music most speakers in the 3X9 6X9 range are going to be lacking the surface area to move a significant amount of air and make real difference, even the expensive ones. But by adding bigger subs or even woofers mounted in boxes in the trunk, even the stock Shaker 500 door speakers should be able to provide an acceptable level with good sound. But if too much speaker is added they'll probably need extra power.

I puchased a much more expensive CD/DVD Head unit and with the digital EQ I am able to ajust the stereo at a high volume and eliminate the distortion for the most part in individual speakers with many different types of music and program and save three user settings in addition to the six pre-programmed EQ settings or change the EQ to fit the song or movie I happen to be listing to at the time if I so wish. So I don't feel the need to replace the existing rear deck speakers until I add a substantial amount of power or as long as they are in good condition.

SO in short if you want more Bump you're gonna need "Bigger" not necessarily "Better" Speakers.
I hope this helps clarify my earlier statement.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:20 AM
cam2904
4th Gear Member

If you want to improve the sound in your vehicle the first thing you do is replace your Head Unit / Factory Deck.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:25 AM
cam2904
4th Gear Member

Take a look in my photobucket account and you can see what I had in my nissan. The Audio equipment that was in my nissan was set up for Sound Quality Competition. I will be puttin the gear in the stang. Instead of having two amps before in the last install will be just one amp.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:02 PM
Ant69
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cam2904

Take a look in my photobucket account and you can see what I had in my nissan. The Audio equipment that was in my nissan was set up for Sound Quality Competition. I will be puttin the gear in the stang. Instead of having two amps before in the last install will be just one amp.
"Sound Quality Competition" isn't that where everyone gathers in a circle around a car that has more cash in the electronics than the car itself, while it's droning out a one note tune that would send most marine wlidlife swimming for the peace and safety of dry land? I had a neighbor that was into that, everyone called him "BUZZ", he said "What?" alot!

UDG, Don't take my word for it go down to your local shop (preferably one that has lots of Thumpin Rides sportin 22's parked out front) and ask them. You have got to move air to get the BUMP!

p.s. Don't forget to pickup a tube of blue locktite!
Old 11-30-2006, 06:11 PM
cam2904
4th Gear Member

"Sound Quality Competition" isn't that where everyone gathers in a circle around a car that has more cash in the electronics than the car itself, while it's droning out a one note tune that would send most marine wlidlife swimming for the peace and safety of dry land? I had a neighbor that was into that, everyone called him "BUZZ", he said "What?" alot!

UDG, Don't take my word for it go down to your local shop (preferably one that has lots of Thumpin Rides sportin 22's parked out front) and ask them. You have got to move air to get the BUMP!

p.s. Don't forget to pickup a tube of blue locktite!
Very Funny. No that would be SPL or Sound Pressure Level. They measure the amount of decibels the vehicle is putting out. SQ or sound quality is based on how clear a stereo system is installed and sounds in a vehicle. Its read using a RTA meter you should see like a smile which repersents each frequency in bands.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:32 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

To answer the original question. MBquart is bar none the HIGHEST quality car audio speaker available. But trust me their quality shows in the price. Each speaker comes with its own crossover. VERY, VERY good sound quality. But if you want something more affordable, boston acoustics arent bad, eclipse, Im not too fond of rockford fosgate for interior speakers (they do make AWESOME subs though), alpine, depending on the model even sony makes decent stuff. I think you should go to best buy and other car audio shops and just checkout which speakers you think sound the best. Every person has different taste in sound, so what might sound good to me might not sound goo to you.
I also worked as a car audio installer, Ive put in everything from headunits to complete fully stocked bars into vehicles with mirrors and all. Ants right for the most part though, if you really want higher sound QUALITY and just more overall volume you NEED to replace the factory headunit. Factory headunits are designed with a feature to automatically turn the bass down as the volume goes up, so you dont blow your speakers. There is no way to bypass that. Alpine makes really nice units that are very affordable, not to menntion they last forever.
-P.
PS: I rock out with 2000 watts rms in my car. And a common misconception is that you need subs, not true 1 GOOD sub will sound WAY better than 2 ok subs, and itll take up half the space. Look at kicker solobarics, they require half the space of conventional subs.