Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Muffler help please!! #*@!$#&

Old 01-11-2007, 01:44 AM
cookiemonster
2nd Gear Member

Default Muffler help please!! #*@!$#&

Hi everyone, I just bought a new Magnaflow axle-back muffler part #15889 for my new 2007 V6 ... and what was supposed to be a 1/2 hour install turned out to be closer to a 2 hour headache!! Here's the problem (see the attached picture please) ... the notch labeled "a" fits perfectly in the original Ford setup. In the Magnaflow setup, the notch "a" slips out as I ran the car (over 1" out after a 2 mile test spin!). I'm guessing this is because Ford's muffler has an additional hanger "c" attached to a rubber piece "d" while Magnaflow's does not have hanger "c", and this additional hanger allows Ford's muffler to stay put. Missing it seems to mean Magnaflow's start to slip off, no matter how tight I tighten bolt "b"! I'm guessing missing hanger "c" was also the reasonthe Magnaflow gave off a vibrating/loose sound when I ran the 2 mile test drive??

What am I doing wrong? Or, what do I need to do to fix this problem??? HELP!!!!

TIA

[IMG]local://upfiles/53981/3DB492AEC1B5401D8D5D9D0EB09444B4.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-11-2007, 01:59 AM
4.0 Stang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Muffler help please!! #*@!$#&

I have the magnaflow axleback also, and I do nothave hangar c either. I just tightened it up pretty tight, and I have had it on for about 2 months. I have not noticed any problems with it becoming loose. As far as the rattling sound I am not sure, just make sure it is all tightened up and nutthing is hitting anything.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:28 AM
phunnyguy
4th Gear Member

the rattling sound could a be a pipe hitting something, i.e. the pipe leading to your exhaust tips ..the one that goes up and over may have to bent....it may be hitting something.....jst a guess.....had my magnas for more than 10 000 miles and no complaints......however mine were installed at GAS in calif....i dont have those kinds of skills....

Old 01-12-2007, 05:31 AM
phunnyguy
4th Gear Member

if there is a vibration ...heh... that could be the magnaflows its what they do....butitssomething i would have to hear in person......they are loud and as they break in they will settle down a little, but they remain distincly mustang ....mine tend to be louder when the engine is cold and then settle to their normal tone after warming the car.......just a thought...
Old 01-12-2007, 02:53 PM
cookiemonster
2nd Gear Member

Okay ... any thoughts on why the pipe connection (where the clamp is) keeps on coming loose?
Old 01-12-2007, 05:24 PM
Mark_Henry

ORIGINAL: cookiemonster

Okay ... any thoughts on why the pipe connection (where the clamp is) keeps on coming loose?
Forget the clamp. Spend $20 at a Meineke and have it welded, you'll thank yourself later.

mark h

Old 01-12-2007, 07:54 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

go to your local hardware store and buy a thing of highstrength lock tight

it will never rattle loose, and you can take it off in the future...

for my exhaust issues were that the hangars kept comming loose, and i took my own advice .. problem fixed
Old 01-12-2007, 09:47 PM
Sevalley
1st Gear Member

IhaveDual magnaflows and I also get rattling noises (I installed it myself). It is very difficult to get all the pipes in the right place without any part of the pipes touching the car (except at the hangers) without a lift. I have been meaning to go into a shop to pay someone like $20 to lift my car up and make some adjustments to get rid of the rattling, but have not had time (its not that bad). You need to tighten everything and check every piece to make sure it is in the right place. Im sure you can get a shop to make a custom 2nd hanger and weld it on for you for cheap, that should get rid of any problems.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:58 PM
cookiemonster
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the suggestion Blackfoot: How did you apply the Loctite to your muffler?
Old 01-12-2007, 10:15 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

remove/back off the bolt. drip some drops of lock tight (get teh liquid stuff) so it covers the threads.. screw her back on.. when hte liquid dries.. it WILL not rattle loose smells like nail polish remover too.. kind of addicting

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Muffler help please!! #*@!$#&