Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Duals!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 02:52 PM
TheBlackPearl
2nd Gear Member

Default Duals!

I was looking into getting my V6 dual exhaust.

So heres my plan of action...

Get:
GT take-off rear bumper
GT take-off mufflers

From there, I know of a local shop that did a real nice job on my last car.
They can splice a new pipe into the existing one and make a custom Y pipe (i believe i have the right term).
He said, most likely it will be a couple hundred bucks.

All I'm really doing is swapping out the V6 muffler, connecting/welding a new pipe to the existing exhaust pipe, and connecting and haning up the second muffler.

Any thoughts from those of you who've been there?

Old 01-15-2007, 03:00 PM
jerseystang07
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Duals!

I ahven't been there yet, but you don't even need a full rear bumper unless you want the stock look. If you don't mind I would say check out the SSE GT rear lip. Also, if you want to go true duals you don't want another Y pipe. You want the guy to take out hte existing Y pipe and replace it with either an X pipe or an H pipe. If you have a Y attached to another Y, the exhaust fumes are still forced into 1 pipe before coming out of 2 mufflers. This setup is still very restrictive. Go with the X and you will release a lot of back pressure andpossibly gain at least 7-10 RWHP. I have heard great things about the GT takeoffs being much deeper and less restrictive, but I would go with dual Flowmaster American Thunders. Best muffler for the V6 IMHO. Others will say MRT Aeroturbine. Listen to sound clips to find the sound you want. Hope this helps.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:07 PM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

+1 for American Thunders and an h or x-pipe.

ORIGINAL: jerseystang07

I ahven't been there yet, but you don't even need a full rear bumper unless you want the stock look. If you don't mind I would say check out the SSE GT rear lip. Also, if you want to go true duals you don't want another Y pipe. You want the guy to take out hte existing Y pipe and replace it with either an X pipe or an H pipe. If you have a Y attached to another Y, the exhaust fumes are still forced into 1 pipe before coming out of 2 mufflers. This setup is still very restrictive. Go with the X and you will release a lot of back pressure andpossibly gain at least 7-10 RWHP. I have heard great things about the GT takeoffs being much deeper and less restrictive, but I would go with dual Flowmaster American Thunders. Best muffler for the V6 IMHO. Others will say MRT Aeroturbine. Listen to sound clips to find the sound you want. Hope this helps.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:18 PM
TheBlackPearl
2nd Gear Member

This is the reason I post here, lol.

So, what i should do is have a X pipe made and attach the two mufflers?

Is that from the cat back, or does that start before the cat?

I was thinking of putting the GTs on for now and when i get the cash later i could swap them off for Ford Racing Stingers
Old 01-15-2007, 04:01 PM
jerseystang07
4th Gear Member

You have the headers or manifolds, then the cats, then the midpipe where the X or H pipe would be, then the over axle pipes, and finally the axle back mufflers.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:42 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jerseystang07

regarding SSE GT rear lip, do they sell these parts painted? My ride is Vista Blue.
thanks
Old 01-15-2007, 04:50 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

I'm getting my Pypes x-pipe true dual exhaust system with Violator mufflers installed tomorrow at my dealer.
I am also getting a GT rear bumper cover installed. It's coming today from V6MustangStuff
They drop ship out of Indiana and the first one I received late last week had too many surface mars and scratches including two scratches all the way down to the primer coat. I complained and they shipped another one out right away. I'll let you know what it's condition in after I get a look at it.
I am also getting my new Ford Racing posi-traction differential installed tomorrow as well.
I have a CAI with a Diablo Predator tuner that I will be putting in later on this week.
My Stang is a Pony package, Vista Blue like Jersey*** has. Same look ;-(...well not for long ;-)...
I was going to install a Shaker Hood Scoop CAI system but I decided against it after hearing about how much they get flooded by heavy rain and large splashes of water on the road. Don't want my engine locking up due to a gulp of water! But I do like the looks of it.I'll probably add a fake scoop later after I install slotted louvers. I'm looking for a nice long scoop pre-painted to matchof course.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:12 PM
TheBlackPearl
2nd Gear Member

So, basically all i need to do is convert the mid pipe into an H or X?

Is there a difference between them?
Old 01-15-2007, 06:11 PM
drew.bowen

Is the rear lip or gt bumper going to be cheaper? Where can i find a gt rear lip?
Old 01-15-2007, 06:21 PM
tientran
2nd Gear Member

Hi! If you want dual exhausts with X pipe for V6, You need: 2 brackets to hang the left muffler + 1 left GTmid pipe+ 1 Xpipe from Ford racing + 2 GT take off mufflers ( of course). You can cut the bumper if you don't want to replace it with GT bumper. I don't know what is different between the X and H pipe; But, I installed X pipe because I learned that one of parts that Shelby upgrades Mustang GT to Shelbyis replacing stock H pipe with X pipe. I feel the car run stronger andthe sound is better.
ORIGINAL: TheBlackPearl

So, basically all i need to do is convert the mid pipe into an H or X?

Is there a difference between them?

Quick Reply: Duals!