Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Flowmaster Single AT Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 11:42 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

Default Flowmaster Single AT Problem

Okay, in some other topic I was talking about my Flowmaster not fitting properly, so anyway, I got a picture of it:

It's secure; the clamp onto the exhaust pipe is tight and two of the three hanger brackets are on, but the third bracket (the one toward the passenger side) is about one inch off of even being able to bolt on. Clearly things aren't sitting right, and I keep bottoming it out on everything, so I was just wondering if anyone else has had any kind of problem like this when dealing with their Flowmaster AT single.

(And it sounds really, really good by the way.)
Old 01-16-2007, 12:08 AM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Flowmaster Single AT Problem

lol, the tip is supposed to go in the cutout.

When I was installing my AT single, it fit perfectly. Make sure you have both brackets on correctly. The muffler should fit perfectly.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:11 AM
Sick Six
2nd Gear Member

Holy ****.....that is uh really really crooked!!!!
Obviously. Well you didn't happen to bend the pipe
going over the rearend when you were taking off the
old muffler or something did you?
Old 01-16-2007, 12:20 AM
Mark_Henry

ORIGINAL: raubt
It's secure; the clamp onto the exhaust pipe is tight and two of the three hanger brackets are on, but the third bracket (the one toward the passenger side) is about one inch off of even being able to bolt on. Clearly things aren't sitting right, and I keep bottoming it out on everything, so I was just wondering if anyone else has had any kind of problem like this when dealing with their Flowmaster AT single.
You've got the one forr the GT installed. The piping is similar, but different enough to give you what you've got. You either need to eturn it (if the seller will take it back since it was installed) or take it to a muffler shop and have them heat up and bend the tubing that comes out of the Flowmaster so that it fits properly.

Oh, and in case you were wondering - mine was exactly the same way when I got it. The box was marked for the V6, but the muffler was setup for the GT. I spent $45 to have the piping fixed and the connection welded (rathe than clamped).

mark h
Old 01-16-2007, 02:24 AM
Ry05Stang
2nd Gear Member

I don't understand? How can there be 2 different mufflers for the V6 and GT? If we use the GT take-off mufflers and they fit our cars, shouldn't all their mufflers fit our cars?
Old 01-16-2007, 02:34 AM
Sick Six
2nd Gear Member

I have the Flowmaster AT's for the GT because I wanted to
do a dual exhaust conversion. The right muffler fit the stock pipe so I don't
think it should have anything to do with it being a muffler
for the GT or the V6......it has something to do with the hangers
or pipes being bent somewhere.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:41 AM
ilduce321
2nd Gear Member

I had a similar problem when I installed mine. Although the hangers all seem to look the same, they in fact are not. If you didn't put the hangers back to the exact locations they were on the stock muffler, this could be your problem. When we mixed up one of the hangers, we couldn't even screw the bugger into place. Once we figured out the problem, everything fit fine. Try taking the hangers off and repositioning them. If this doesn't help, then I have no idea what is going on.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:50 AM
raubt
4th Gear Member

Thanks everyone!

I'm gonna mess with it tomorrow and see if I can't get the brackets to fit in differently or something, otherwise I'll just take it in to somewhere that does mufflers (probably my Ford dealer) and see if they can get everything to fit in there properly.

I was thinking maybe it was just an issue with the aftermarket part not being exactly to spec on the Mustangs, but if everyone else's is fitting properly, must just be something with the installation. Thanks again.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:13 PM
Thomas Ford
2nd Gear Member

Rip it out and have someone put in duals for you. You'll like it far better.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:15 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

LOL, nope, the single stays (and for the time being I'm very happy with the sound).

As for the original problem, I took my car into Midas today and it turns out the hanger brackets were on sideways or backwards or something like that, so 30 minutes and $20 later, my Flowmaster lines up with the bumper cutout perfectly.

Is my face ever red.

Thanks for all your help everyone!