Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

should I?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 01:41 AM
los2007
1st Gear Member

Default should I?

should I take my car to the delear and get it looked at or take it to a reg shop>?

i mean my car is no longer under warrity and i bought the car in oct and i drove it to vegas and back and i dont know when do i need to get a tune up so i thought maybe id ask u guys
Old 01-30-2007, 02:09 AM
birdoffire7
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: should I?

Depends on how many miles you have on it and what you mean by "tune up". If you mean new plugs, Ford lists 100,000 miles in it's scheduled maintenance plan. Unless your car is a program car or you never shut it off, you probably haven't hit this number yet. Personally, I change mine around every 50,000 miles to be sure and do it myself. If you've hit 30k, you need to change your fuel filter. If your car is out of warranty and you don't want to do it yourself, take to anyone you trust and is reputable. It's my experience that dealers tend to be on the high side of price points, but that may not be the case where you are at. Good luck!
Old 01-30-2007, 03:07 AM
los2007
1st Gear Member

thanks ya well i have 42000 miles on it and i didnt know on what is the mile limit for a tune up but ya i called ford and then they wanted 150 just too look at it and that is a littile hight to look at it but ya thanks for ur info

by the way ur pony is hellatight i have tryed to upload pics for liek an hour and it didnt work haha but ill keep trying
Old 01-30-2007, 03:13 AM
raubt
4th Gear Member

Yep, Ford is usually the pricey way to go, but I tend to prefer the dealer because their mechanics are much more familiar with that brand of car (Ford works on Fords all day long; ABC Mechanics works on a variety of who knows what, and might only see Mustangs on rare occassions) and so, in my opinion/experience, are more likely to do a better job of whatever they're doing.

But if you have a good general mechanic around who you trust, go for it, you'll probably be able to save a few bucks over taking it to the dealer.