Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

car acting like a POS!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 03:00 PM
Dreamer

Default RE: car acting like a POS!!!!!

My battery was dead also. I put the charger on it and when it started I drove it to the Ford dealer and they said the same thing about everything checked good. They replaced the battery anyways. He said just because the battery checked good it still could have a issue with it. Funny, when I called, he said he had a bunch of Fords that wouldn't start. Ford maybe got a bunch of bad batteries? I live in Wisconsin, it's fricken cold here also.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:03 PM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

Alot of cars have the same problems in the cold weather. All car batteries lose power when they are cold, however when you drive the car for several miles the entire engine compartment warms up and thus the battery returns to optimal running temparetures. It would then be likely that your dealership would not find anything wrong.

Also, every time your car battery dies, it becomes less effective. If it is having trouble now, it is best to just get it replaced.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:11 PM
BHRS
1st Gear Member

Maybe y'all need to have the alternator checked for low RPM output. It sounds like your cars are running fine and will restart after highway speeds, that sounds like the alternator is not putting out enough charge to keep the car running and charge the battery at low speeds.

Just a thought...
Old 02-15-2007, 04:23 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

The factory batteries have low CCA ratings.
I doubt they last very long before needing to be replaced (upgraded).
Old 02-15-2007, 06:10 PM
msulifter37
1st Gear Member

[:@]Ya, Ford told me to start it every day. I think that is f-ing stupid though. It is a brand new car. I dont care how cold out it gets. If it needs to be started every day, then Ford should not sell Mustang's in Michigan. My girlfriend has a Malibu with 150,000 miles on it, and she lets it sit in the same damn conditions for a week and it starts just fine. I want a different car if I have to jump the damn thing every day!!! GRRR
Old 02-15-2007, 06:42 PM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

Just replace the battery and get a low viscosity oil. You'll be fine.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:20 PM
Surf Bum

It could be a slow drain on the battery if the alarm is on the whole time. I have a radar detector and if I leave it on for 3 days the battery is drained enough so the car won't start. 2 days and it starts just fine but 3 days kills it. You might try turning off the alarm, let it sit for three days and see if it starts.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:38 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: msulifter37

[:@]Ya, Ford told me to start it every day. I think that is f-ing stupid though. It is a brand new car. I dont care how cold out it gets. If it needs to be started every day, then Ford should not sell Mustang's in Michigan. My girlfriend has a Malibu with 150,000 miles on it, and she lets it sit in the same damn conditions for a week and it starts just fine. I want a different car if I have to jump the damn thing every day!!! GRRR
Chill there big guy. Its cold and apperantly the batteries don't hold up well in the cold. I'm no happier than you but I reall like that Ford still sells mustangs in Michigan. It ain't only here either.!!!
Old 02-15-2007, 09:51 PM
acrokat
2nd Gear Member

This is worth a look:

https://mustangforums.com/m_2281696/tm.htm

Turn off your Shaker before you turn off the car!
Old 02-15-2007, 10:15 PM
blueV6
1st Gear Member

When its that cold why in god's name dont you plug your car in? Up here when it gets down to -40 celsius dino oil will literally freeze in your block. But regardless I have had the exact same problem, left my car at the airport for 4 days and i think it was -36 and it wouldnt even start with a jump start. I had to get the big towtruck with its 4 batteries to start her.so PLUG HER IN and you'll be fine.

Quick Reply: car acting like a POS!!!!!