Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Chassis winds up like a toy!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 02:35 PM
retrosix

Default Chassis winds up like a toy!!

I'm sure that I'm not the first one to talk about this problem on these boards, but it's been a while since I've been active here. So, I'm sure a lot of you have noticed that the trade off for having a torque-handling live axle is that any turn over 35-40 builds up an insane amount of flex in the chassis that is really unpleasant when it unwinds. My question is: what is the cheapest/most cost effective way to increase roll stiffness? I'm not a newbie so i'm pretty familiar with the usual options like braces, sway bars, etc. My other question is what results have you guys had with your cars and what setups are reliable?

thanks
-retro
Old 02-16-2007, 02:38 PM
fitbikeco
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Chassis winds up like a toy!!

hmmmm
well i have herd great things about the gt takeoff sway bars
i think i have seen both of them in decent condition in a package for like 90 or 100 which does not sound bad
i would get them but they are just extra weight for drag racing
im sure you will get more info from others
Old 02-16-2007, 02:40 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Of thehandful of modifications I've done, the best and most noticable mod would be upgrading my wheels and installing GT take off sway bars. It's like night and day.
With the stock set up, my wheels would buck if I'm taking a turn at like 25MPH. I was also very afraid of driving in the rain because I could constantly feel my rear end slipping out.

The sway bars were $85 from Diversified and fairly simple to install. My Nitto NT555s were $125 each and my rims $100 each.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Kriger
2nd Gear Member

I put on 18" wheels with with Goodyear eagle f1's, they dont have anything for the cold and snow... However, in the mildly warm and up on dry or wet... they stick like glue. From take offsto quick braking... it takes alot to get her upset. Even on wet you can take off under pretty heavy throttle and not slip the wheels... corning on them is also a dream. I've thought about a sway bar... but im not feeling the unwind like I did when on the stock tread... but I might consider if they are that good...

C&L CAI, EVOLUTION 93 TUNE, LSD REAR, ALUMINUM DRIVESHAFT, MRT EXHAUST, 18" WHEELS w/ F1's, REAR BLACKOUT PANEL, SIRIUS
Old 02-16-2007, 03:09 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: retrosix

I'm sure that I'm not the first one to talk about this problem on these boards, but it's been a while since I've been active here. So, I'm sure a lot of you have noticed that the trade off for having a torque-handling live axle is that any turn over 35-40 builds up an insane amount of flex in the chassis that is really unpleasant when it unwinds. My question is: what is the cheapest/most cost effective way to increase roll stiffness? I'm not a newbie so i'm pretty familiar with the usual options like braces, sway bars, etc. My other question is what results have you guys had with your cars and what setups are reliable?

thanks
-retro
just to clear things up... it is not the chassis... yes we have lots of body roll but you are not twisting the chassis...

That being said, ditch the stock springs, if you haven't already... they are incredibly mushy...

I put a set of Hellwig sway bars on my car... I replace the front one... the 05's do not have a rear sway bar... the pony package in 06 give you a rear sway bar... I very happy with them... you can see my review including a short video at: http://www.v6john.com/Main/Performan.../sway_bars.htm