Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Exhaust Advice

Old 02-25-2007, 09:18 PM
M^2
1st Gear Member

Default Exhaust Advice

Im about to switch my stang over to dual exhaust and from looking at diffrent post Ive noticed that some people have had some problems with clanking and back pressure when they have had the exhaust fabbed at a shop. So I was wondering what the best option is when going dual to avoid these problems, or is there really that much to worry about?

Also is an H-pipe really neccesary or can I just have them do a Y from the existing piping?
Old 02-25-2007, 09:32 PM
deutscherstang
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Exhaust Advice

you could do a Y I believe, but the reason why most people get H-pipes is because it provides the best overall sound qualtiy. Some though go with an X pipe for performance. Look at one of the sponsers we have here and look at what type of h-pipes and x-pipes they have to sell you instead of having the shop fab you one up.
Also, get a GT bumper for better fittment, which will most likely reduce the chance of any rattling of your mufflers.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:42 PM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

If you are gunna go duals you should just do it right. I don't have them so im talkin from what I have seen and read.

The best way to go seems to be true duals with an H or an X pipe after the cats. That provides the best power/sound. People go with duals becuase it looks a lot better and sounds deeper, but from what Ive seen, a good single system has the same if not better HP gains but not as good oflooks orsound.

You can do a double Y-pipe system, but the sound and power aren't as good from what I hear.

My advice to you is to find a good shop that can weld and bend the correct piping to make you a true dual system with an H or X pipe, and supply 2 of your favoite mufflers to them. You will also need to cut the V6 bumper to fit the extra muffler, or buy a Gt takeoff bumper.

They do sell complete kits to do this with all of the pipes made for you to bolt in also. http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/05V6Exhaust.htm
Old 02-25-2007, 10:14 PM
M^2
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input. Does anyone else have any thoughts?
Old 02-25-2007, 10:46 PM
2007Grabber
2nd Gear Member

Ninosport.com has a y-pipe catback set up for the V6 to use with the GT take-off mufflers, or you could go with whatever mufflers you want. If you have a warranty on your car, you may want to go with the y-pipe to preserve the warranty, and to do duals without a tune.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:10 PM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

get a y pipe. If you get a shop to do it it gets expensive and unreliable because of the intricate over axle bends needed. The ys also give the needed backpressure for our engines. unless your going FI you really shouldnt get an h or an x unless power is pointlessa nd you just want good sound.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:33 PM
GstangT
3rd Gear Member

I too was lookin into doing my exhaust.. but was looking into getting duals with a custom H pipe.. but am still undecided about it and still need some advice, adn need some people to chime in.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:51 PM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

if you are going to get an h done.. at least buy the hangers from pypes for 32 each(you need 2) and then search ebay for take off midpipes. This is what will prevent you from having clanks. Just bring those to the muffler shop with the mufflers you want and then have him just weld 2 ft worth of piping to make an h and you will have a flawless kit. Make sure not to get everything welded though because this will allow for future adjustment.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:07 AM
M^2
1st Gear Member

With the ninosport set up does that include everything I need except for the mufflers?
For example midpipes, hangers...?
Old 02-26-2007, 12:09 AM
M^2
1st Gear Member

Also is there any reason why the exhaust shop couldnt fab a Y Pipe?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust Advice