Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Turbo resource

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 12:57 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

Default Turbo resource

anyone know a good online store for turbo assemblies? Not a kit like the PH, I just wanna price out some stuff, but i am finding that i can't find the turbo's i want to look into on any sites that actually sell turbos. All i can find is tiny **** for hondas.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:28 PM
omer333
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Turbo resource

you could get in touch with MRT, they had a custom built twin-turbo set up for the Cherry 6T6. there's also STS turbo systems and also TMA turbo.

if i was you, i'd contact HKS. even though they're an import company, there's a chance that because of the focus being put on the 4.0, they might and might is a big word here, they might even have something in the works.

same thing goes for stillen.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:50 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Try Turbo_J. She knows a crap load about turbos. She built her own for the 4.0, and has done a ton of work on the SVO's. Most of what I learned about the SVO's I learned from her.

Here is her writeup on the 4.0 Turbo she built.

http://home.hvc.rr.com/turbostang/
Old 03-01-2007, 08:52 PM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

yea i've found Garrett GT35 turbos...not the R version that produce they say between 3 and 400 horsepower reliably. Even though a vortech kit from superchargersonline is like $2700 or something. I have a friend that welds and just need to figure out how to do it then take it to evolution performance to tune it.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 03-02-2007, 12:07 AM
tilt
2nd Gear Member

Keep us up to date on this. I would be intrested in what this ends up costing you.

Turbos kits seem horibbly overpriced for what they are. I say carefully measure the pipes as you cut and bend, make a list of all parts, document the install then sell the kits to your fellow MFers. If it comes out half decent and is reasonably price I'll take one!!
Old 03-02-2007, 12:20 AM
prozac
2nd Gear Member

100% AGREED

keep us informed we are interested in your progress

Zach

ORIGINAL: tilt

Keep us up to date on this. I would be intrested in what this ends up costing you.

Turbos kits seem horibbly overpriced for what they are. I say carefully measure the pipes as you cut and bend, make a list of all parts, document the install then sell the kits to your fellow MFers. If it comes out half decent and is reasonably price I'll take one!!
Old 03-02-2007, 01:18 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

I just can't seem to find a decent price on any of the turbos i am looking into and prices are real inconsistant, so if anyone knows of a huge turbo dealer (not producer, most of them don't sell them directly as single units) that has some good customer service and prices, please post the link. If it ends up being within the price range i want i will keep you all updated. Powerhouse has a total monopoly on the turbokits right now, which is partly why they are so expensive, and you can't blame them for that they are a great company, that is just business! The biggest problem that i'd have to work out is piping. I know what i need, i know how to pair up everything i need, and i know a decent amount about turbo's, but i do not have any welding experience, or fabbing/bending, so one of my buddies who has pretty extensive experience will help me out if i do this. I wouldn't put anything like this into production or anything tilt, but if i do it i will record all of the piping diameters, bends, lengths, materials etc, and tell you all the components i use and my sources so you could piece it together yourself. Don't get too excited tho as this is just speculation right now. If it doesn't come out to a very reasonable price, i won't do it and just wait for another company to come out with a turbo kit to actually make some competition for ph and bring down prices all around, and don't worry something will be out soon, i garuntee it
Old 03-02-2007, 01:57 AM
tilt
2nd Gear Member

8CD03gro, Sounds good to me. I am a DIY type of guy, but do not have a lot of automotive experience. There is only one way to learn though.

Have you ever checked out anything like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MUSTA...QQcmdZViewItem

I myself have very little turbo knoledge, but could you comment on the components of a kit like this. All the random pipe pieces could be a good option for someone without access to a welder or pipe bender. Maybe the turbo unitis complete crap, maybe it is not, like I said I do not know, just throwing some ideas out there.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:10 AM
DelStang86
2nd Gear Member

I think dual t3/4's would work well with this setup, probably with 3 inch piping... you're looking at around 1000 per turbo, this seems to be the going rate on a lot of sites.. if you're feeling ballsy, you could check out ebay, of course there's no actual guarantee for the quality of what you buy

good luck.. i'd love to see a home-made twin turbo setup
Old 03-02-2007, 01:47 PM
Jerseyfury2
4th Gear Member

I completely agree that Powerhouse has a monopoly over the 05-07 v6 turbo market. Come summer or as soon as my quad sells, I'm going to be making a single turbo system with a GT35R. Possibly going forged. Sick of all these import v6s with low ETs...time for a domestic v6 that kicks ***.

Quick Reply: Turbo resource