Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

PXDP2 Ipod aux interface install

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 11:27 PM
harlanb1
1st Gear Member

Default PXDP2 Ipod aux interface install

I just finished installing the PXDP2 Ipod interface on my 06 Mustang. I have only used it for a few minutes so far, but I have to say it is awsome!!

I purchased it from http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=968
I did some research and found that PIE has a similar device coming out this month, but I didnt want to wait.
If you get this interface (which i highly recomend so far), make sure you get the interface harness to go with the mustang.
I found it cheaper at a couple different places, but they didn't offer the interface harness with it.
At discount, you select the harness for your car and they include it in the order.
The installation went much easier than I expected. This has much to do with the fact that I used the instructions from
http://www.jtephoto.com/mustang/idiots_guide/Idiots.htm
The instructions are for a PIE device, but the important part is that it has a very good explination on how to get to the radio. When you get to that part, just follow the instructions that comes with the PXDP2 on how to connect it to the radio. The instructions that come with the PXDP2 for accessing the back of the radio are laughable.
Total installation time was close to 2 hrs, but i was being very careful as I didnt want to break any of the dash pieces.
I used double sided tape to attach the PXDP2 module to a dash mount behind the drivers side knee panel. I made sure
that I left enough slack in the wire harness incase I needed to access the module. I can just remove the knee panel and directly access the module.
I ran the wire for the IPOD to the center console. I suggest that anyone doing this take extra care to make sure that the wire is placed so it will not get caught up in the shifter. In the console, there is a small removable plastic plate on the front drivers side. I removed this plate and used a drill and wire cutters to put a notch in it for a pass through for the wire. It doesn't look half bad.
After installing the PXDP2, i hooked up my IPOD and it works and sound great!!!.
If you follow the instructions above, anyone that is half way mechanically inclined can install this module.
If anyone is thinking about doing this and has any questions, post a reply, and I will be happy to reply back.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:27 AM
rixstang

Default RE: PXDP2 Ipod aux interface install

I loved mine until I had to remove it this past Friday. I bought the iSimple in January from Best Buy, but it is the Peripheral unit in a pretty box. I checked the sticker on it to make sure it was the updated module as the earlier modules had reset issues. Last week, my gas guage, turn signals,and several idiot lights went crazy. I thought I was having serious electrical problems. I figured I'd remove the peripheral device before taking it in to the dealer just for fun. Turns out everything went back to normal after removing this thing so it got returned. I used to keep my iPod plugged in during the work day, but it would stay charging even after turning the car off. When I removed my radio after the car had sat for a few hours, the heat sink was hot to the touch. I'm guessing theperipheral unit was drawing too much current through the dash/radio and that caused my problem. This car is too new to risk an electrical problem so I will make due with MP3 cds for now. I had never read of any of the problems before, so I wanted to share my experience in the hopes that it helps someone else.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:50 AM
harlanb1
1st Gear Member

Thanks for theinfo rixstang.
I bring my ipod into work with me, so hopefully I won't have the same issue.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:04 AM
los2007
1st Gear Member

seee i have been lookn for an ipod hook up for months and every best buy i go to says it wont work on my shaker 500 and all u guys are saying it works ughhh im so mad best buy i went to like 6 best buy and they all tell me the same dam thing
Old 04-06-2007, 04:21 AM
harlanb1
1st Gear Member

los,
Screw best buy.
Just go to the link i posted and get the pxdp2 from discountcarstereo.com.
I have a shaker 500 and the pxdp2 works great on it. The installation is not hard.
Just follow the instructions in the other link that I posted.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:45 PM
dstanger
2nd Gear Member

I bought the PIE device for my XM radio. I absolutely love it, haven't went on long enough trip to put my mp3 player on it yet.... I did this within 2 weeks of buying my 06 lady!
Old 04-06-2007, 10:51 PM
ucdgreek
1st Gear Member

i bought mine on ebay for like 120.. i highly recommend it. Just make sure to unplug the ipod when u leave the car cuz u will ruin the ipod battery as well as the cars.