Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Engine Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 04:35 AM
SparkYZ
2nd Gear Member

Default Engine Questions

Here's some questions I have for those of you who have actually looked in our little 4.0's...

I've heard these motors have hypereutectic pistons, is this true? (Hypereutectic pistons are your average cast aluminum pistons, however they have a higher silicon content, making them harder)

I've also heard we have forged rods, is this true?

I'm assuming this block has two-bolt mains? (I'm talking about the crank)

Just curious...
Old 03-28-2007, 10:34 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Engine Questions

I read somewhere that our engines are cast iron while the GTs are aluminum. Can someone confirm this?
Old 03-28-2007, 11:06 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

We have a cast iron block, with forged rods and hyperpathetic pistons. GT is aluminum block, with hyperpathetic pistons and rods. I just went with a built block, all forged internals, stage 3 heads and cams from Powerhouse and some other engine goodies. I'm waiting for PH to announce the results this week.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:03 PM
tilt
2nd Gear Member

So does this make the 4.6 the weaker motor? It seems like it should be the other way around.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:04 PM
cvz_finezt
2nd Gear Member

it doesnt make it weaker per-say, but it does disapate heat better then our iron blocks
Old 03-28-2007, 03:35 PM
SparkYZ
2nd Gear Member

I've heard hypereutectic referred as hyperpathetic before, if you compare them to forged pistons, i guess they are.
I recently learned one drawback to forged pistons however, they expand more than cast, so you have to run looser piston to cylinder wall clearances to compensate, which can cause piston knocking and wobble before the motor warms up...

I thought the GT's had powdered metal rods?

Rygen, how much did your built block cost?
Old 03-28-2007, 03:47 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

Yes, we have cast iron and GTs have aluminum. A small reason I was more determined to go with the V6. But not the entire reason! I believe it doesn't mean the GT has a weaker motor, but the V6 motor has more potential and the ability to sustain power adders than the GTs. From what I understand...
Old 03-28-2007, 04:39 PM
chemoman

Hi ya'll. I just got my 07 last Saturday. so far, so good. I knew it wouldn't take long to start looking for power increase.
Check out this site. He answeres your questions and more.
http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/pdf/40SOHCTech.pdf
Old 03-28-2007, 05:12 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

The comparrison between the 4.0 and 4.6 is apples to oranges, even if they both had the same number of cylenders. There are pros/cons to both, but one modular and the other is not. Plus the 4.0 is a really old cologne pushrod engine. Details here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Cologne_engine
Old 03-28-2007, 05:15 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chemoman

Hi ya'll. I just got my 07 last Saturday. so far, so good. I knew it wouldn't take long to start looking for power increase.
Check out this site. He answeres your questions and more.
http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/pdf/40SOHCTech.pdf
Well... I believe (and I don't think I'm alone here...) that the "tech" article paints a much more bleaker picture for the 4.0L than it truly is.... I believe this article should be taken with a grain of salt.... We have quite a few boosted 4.0L's in here... and if everything in that article was correct, we'ld be dropping like flies...

Quick Reply: Engine Questions