Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

maintenence tips???

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 10:02 PM
mustangballer20
3rd Gear Member

Default maintenence tips???

any good maintenece tips for keeping my mustang in the best shape for the longest time...oil to use etc...
Old 05-09-2007, 11:55 PM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: maintenence tips???

i'd have to say, stick to going to a ford dealer even if they cost you an arm and a leg. go every 3,000 miles too. i've always figured that having everything properly documented by a ford mechanic will help out a lot more if i ever decide to sell. at least IMO.

i dont know about the other guys, but i use 87 octane because of the cost but i buy these fuel injector cleaners with turbo fuel in it, and man after putting a bottle in i feel some kick. i get STP i think from autozone. pretty good. i've usedd that on all my cars ever since my old ones fuel injectors got clogged with debris and i put like 3 bottles of it in there and had it running for like 20 minutes and solved everything.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:31 AM
takotruckin
2nd Gear Member

if you do oil changes yourself, use only motorcraft filters, and i prefer motorcraft oil as well, it is a quality synthetic blend, and is very affordable. oil and filter at walmart (hate that store, only things i buy there) was 16 bucks and some change

also, save your receipts for any service. it will help you if you have engine problems down the road
Old 05-10-2007, 03:07 AM
jaded seconds
3rd Gear Member

do your own tire rotations as well.i do it every other oil change.takes roughly 30 minutes.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:26 PM
tilt
2nd Gear Member

I was suprised to find out that oil changes at the dealer are really not that much more than Jiffy lube types of places, but are a little less convient because you usually need to make an appointment.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:49 PM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

hmm, i generally never make an appointment, but i always go in the middle of the week around like 1 some, thats when i get out of school.
last friday i went to get my oil changed and i ended up having an 18,000 mile service...150 bucks!
Old 05-10-2007, 04:31 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tilt

I was suprised to find out that oil changes at the dealer are really not that much more than Jiffy lube types of places, but are a little less convient because you usually need to make an appointment.
sorry, but I wouldn't take my bicycle to Jiffy Lube, not after what they did to my Buick. I took it in for an oil change and they forgot to put the oil cap back on. A few days later I noticed oil all over the hood and motor! I went back and they acted like they didn't know what I was talking about. I explained that THEY changed the oil so THEY must have left the oil cap off. It is a locking hood, so no chance that someone randomly took it!
I had to purchase another and since then I do not deal with Jiffy Lube.
I take my Fords to the dealer for service. Sure, it may take a little more time, but I feel confident that they will back their work. Case in point.....I took my Conversion Van in for service. When they changed the tire they accidentally bumped the ground effects causing one end to come unattached. They fixed it without any quarrels.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:04 PM
jaded seconds
3rd Gear Member

also here's another tip... 5 quarts of5w-30 royal purple + K&N oil filter are ftw.