Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

X-Charger info?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 08:28 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Default X-Charger info?

Thinking about doing this mod early next yr(March/April). Have some ?'s:
1.What type of supercharger is this(roots)?
2.What kinds of gains hp wise could I expect from this(rearwheel and flywheel)?
3.Would I have to run premium after this(yes i no I'm already running 93)?
4.How hard and what is the maintenence of these?
5.Should I go to a dual exhaust or will single be ok(truck run 300hp+ on single outlets)?
6.Should I take off any of my mods when I would do this mod? (I have 4.10gears would they be too much(only people w/x-charger's answer this) and if so should I go to 3.73's,put on my stock 3.31's, or just run taller tires on my stock rims(how big can I run on my Stock 16X7's-27" tallstock)
7.I heard just putting an X-Charger on our cars can make them take GT's is that true?
8.How hard would it be to hook with this mod?
9.How much HP would I have w/my mod's after the X-Charger?
10.Last ?, Was it worth the money?

Thanx for the help!
Old 08-17-2007, 08:30 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Default RE: X-Charger info?

Forgot, make it ? 9.5
9.5.Would I have to change anything on my car to run the X-Charger(forge internals, aluminum DS, etc.)?

Thanx again!
Old 08-17-2007, 09:15 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

1 Yes, it's a roots
2 According to the kit expect anywhere from 70 to 115 hp gain at the wheels. Unknown at the crank.
3 Premium is required.
4 I assume you mean the install; it's relatively easy, the easiest of all the kits, it comes with excellent instructions. There is no maintenance for 100k miles
5 Single exhaust is fine, several people run it; I'd get 3" pipes if it were me, but I like duals.
6 I don't know your mods, but the gears are fine, I run 410's and a T-lock and have a blast. If you have a CAI you will most likely have to dump it.
7 Yes, an X-Charfed car will out run a stock GT, there are a couple people who have sold their X cars and got GT's and have vcerified this.
8 If you're an auto trans and have LCA's and drag radials you'll hook fine. If you're manual and have stock suspension and tires you'll spin pretty bad on a hard launch. I'd recommend an LSD and LCA's and drag redials (I need the latter)
9 See #2
10 Absolutely! My car is more fun than ever! I dig it!
11 Go buy one!
ORIGINAL: SteelStang05

1.What type of supercharger is this(roots)?
2.What kinds of gains hp wise could I expect from this(rearwheel and flywheel)?
3.Would I have to run premium after this(yes i no I'm already running 93)?
4.How hard and what is the maintenence of these?
5.Should I go to a dual exhaust or will single be ok(truck run 300hp+ on single outlets)?
6.Should I take off any of my mods when I would do this mod? (I have 4.10gears would they be too much(only people w/x-charger's answer this) and if so should I go to 3.73's,put on my stock 3.31's, or just run taller tires on my stock rims(how big can I run on my Stock 16X7's-27" tallstock)
7.I heard just putting an X-Charger on our cars can make them take GT's is that true?
8.How hard would it be to hook with this mod?
9.How much HP would I have w/my mod's after the X-Charger?
10.Last ?, Was it worth the money?

Thanx for the help!
Old 08-17-2007, 10:24 PM
pat6674u
3rd Gear Member

1.What type of supercharger is this(roots)? Roots supercharger replaces the entire intake manifold. This is the same type of supercharger you find on Cobras, Roush mustangs, magna chargers and I believe some Kenne Bell models.
2.What kinds of gains hp wise could I expect from this(rearwheel and flywheel)? I dynoed at 250 RWHP/ 276 RWTQ with the basic California spec model and tune. More gains are feasible with higher octane fuel, wet-x system, smaller pulley size and of course the hi-po unit if you can run it where you are.
3.Would I have to run premium after this(yes i no I'm already running 93)? Yes.
4.How hard and what is the maintenence of these? Change the oil in the unit at 100k miles. Other than that, self-contained.
5.Should I go to a dual exhaust or will single be ok(truck run 300hp+ on single outlets)? Your choice, won't make a difference either way.
6.Should I take off any of my mods when I would do this mod? (I have 4.10gears would they be too much(only people w/x-charger's answer this) and if so should I go to 3.73's,put on my stock 3.31's, or just run taller tires on my stock rims(how big can I run on my Stock 16X7's-27" tallstock). I don't think you need to change a thing, though 4.10's are a little short in my opinion for a manual tranny regardless of the X or not.
7.I heard just putting an X-Charger on our cars can make them take GT's is that true? Pretty much. Stock GT is putting down very close to our RWHP and when you consider our car is a few hundred pounds lighter I believe we have a slight edge (and that is just Cal-spec, the hi-po blows Gt's away).
8.How hard would it be to hook with this mod? How hard is it for you to hook now?
9.How much HP would I have w/my mod's after the X-Charger? I should have read your mods but and it depends on the kit you get. anywhere from 250-300+ RWHP and similar Trq #'s
10.Last ?, Was it worth the money? Yes.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:27 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

I'm an auto-w/4.10's and a T-Lok. Haven't tested hooking since the gears, t-lok, subframes, and rear control arms were installed, let uknow after to help me out on the hooking ?. BTW, ifi do have hooking problems, what would u suggest? wider tires,drag shocks/struts, drag/lowering springs?

Thanx for the help already gonna due the X-Charger next yr either way.
PS-What I be able torun witha terminator(03-04 Cobra)after the charger with my mods? What about an SRT-8? Stock non Z06 or C6 vette?
Old 08-18-2007, 12:09 AM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

PS-What I be able torun witha terminator(03-04 Cobra)after the charger with my mods? What about an SRT-8? Stock non Z06 or C6 vette?
you will need more than the x-charger to run with a C6, 100 more horses, fully independant susp., 10 inch wide tires and more displacement would help.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:08 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SteelStang05

I'm an auto-w/4.10's and a T-Lok. Haven't tested hooking since the gears, t-lok, subframes, and rear control arms were installed, let uknow after to help me out on the hooking ?. BTW, ifi do have hooking problems, what would u suggest? wider tires,drag shocks/struts, drag/lowering springs?

a terminator will still rock your world along with a c6, but you could hang with an srt-8 most likely. IF you are looking to run with c6's and such go turbo.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:07 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

I meant run with a non C6 Vette. Regular one. Any idea? Other than that what else could I run with on the road? STI's? Evo's? GTO's?
I already knew I wouldn't run with a C6 , Thanx again. Also, how much do mechanic's charge as a flat rate for installing the X-Charger? I've heard $650-$1.5k?
Old 08-18-2007, 02:18 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

You wont run with a c5 vette either. Gonna need a turbo orhigh boost centrifugal supercharger to do that. SRT 8 most likely can stay with but will still out run you if all you have is the xcharger and no other mods. but not a terminator or vette
Old 08-18-2007, 02:50 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

I also would have(since no one likes to read my sig)4.10's,T-Lok, Hi-Flow Muffler, TBS(don't know if it helps), 25%+shift pressure, Strut Tower Brace, SteedaRear Upper and Lower Control Arms, Subframe Connectors and I'm thinking about an Aluminum Driveshaft. Hope this helps with the X-Charger too, I'll ask again:
With my mods now and an X-Charger(maybe Aluminum DS too), Could I run with an SRT-8? STI? GTO? Stock Vette (not C6, Not Z06)? Trans Am? Evo? Porsche 911 non turbo?
Thanx ahead of time!

Quick Reply: X-Charger info?