Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Ricey or not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 06:40 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Ricey or not?

ORIGINAL: ricklmesa@***.net

I bet a lot of bleached haired kids in baby blue civics say that too.

Check out the JBA muffler. It does not sound ricey at all in any RPM range. Most of these "mean" mufflers will sound like crap at high RPMs (ie MRT). If you want to even get a nicer tone, add the JBA headers also.
+1.....can't lose with the JBA set-up.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:41 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I have also heard the FRPP muffler in person. I didnt hear it rev past ~4k, but it did sound good
Old 08-20-2007, 06:42 PM
mustangballer20
3rd Gear Member

anyone have sounds clips of the JBA's and a price?
Old 08-20-2007, 06:48 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

All sound clips basically sound the same. IMO, the JBA sounds most like a g35/350z stock exhaust, but a bit louder. Price wise, you can get one for around $160-$200, depending on shipping. I am pulling my single JBA muffler on Thursday because I am getting JBA duals, so if you want a cheap one, send me a PM. If you want duals, they will run you $550-$700 depending on the midpipes and also shipping.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:55 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pperin
Before anyone says a 6 is not a muscle car remember our 6's make more HP than some older GT's
The 6 is not a muscle car. Think of this...the new 350z is making 300hp, does that mean it is a muscle car? If the 6 is a muscle car, the world of muscle cars has died. If people keep on thinking that these are muscle cars, and put on exhausts that belong on real muscle cars, the cars will just sound bad (which is the case for most people's cars here). People need to accept the fact that these cars are very different than the current and older GT's, and need to realize that modding them is a different story.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:06 PM
pperin
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: chrisc

ORIGINAL: pperin
Before anyone says a 6 is not a muscle car remember our 6's make more HP than some older GT's
The 6 is not a muscle car. Think of this...the new 350z is making 300hp, does that mean it is a muscle car? If the 6 is a muscle car, the world of muscle cars has died. If people keep on thinking that these are muscle cars, and put on exhausts that belong on real muscle cars, the cars will just sound bad (which is the case for most people's cars here). People need to accept the fact that these cars are very different than the current and older GT's, and need to realize that modding them is a different story.
Our cars were made to emulate the "muscle car" of the late 60's that is what most guys here are going for.
I think we can all agree that unlike other cars that clearly make more HP than even a GT are not "muscle cars" , our cars including the GT's where made in that spirt. Though even the GT's can't get to 700 800 HP like the old Shelby's. SO let's not split hairs. Most of us love these cars cause they are retro "muscle car" tributes.
As suchthey should NOT sound ricey, european or farty. Of course once you but one you are free to do as you wish with it. I can't speak for all the after market mufflers but the MRT sounds like it should not be on a Mustang. IMO
Old 08-20-2007, 09:25 PM
davesyo
2nd Gear Member

Well a 66 gto 389/325hp did 0-60 in 6.6 1/4 mile 14.9 a 66 chevy II 327/350 hp did 0-60 in 7.2 and 15.1 1/4 mile These were both musclecars , maybe not to the same extent of some of the faster ones , but if the 6 has about the same performance than is it a musclecar ?? Still not 100% sure but I would want to or tend to think it is .
Old 08-20-2007, 09:39 PM
pperin
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: davesyo

Well a 66 gto 389/325hp did 0-60 in 6.6 1/4 mile 14.9 a 66 chevy II 327/350 hp did 0-60 in 7.2 and 15.1 1/4 mile These were both musclecars , maybe not to the same extent of some of the faster ones , but if the 6 has about the same performance than is it a musclecar ?? Still not 100% sure but I would want to or tend to think it is .
There are many sports cars and even luxury cars that put down more than 400 HP that are not "muscle cars". The term "muscle car" was used to describe the very large displacement engines of the day. Like you mentioned GTO's and the 66 chevy to name a few. Today they no longer make those big displacement motors even in the GT.
Our cars however (including the 6) were designed to follow the feel of that era and cars.
So, I may even agree if you want to "reserve" the title of muscle car for the famed GTO's, Mustangs, Cuda's and so on that's cool but I think we have been given the opportunity to relive a time in car history and I think we need to stay true to that spirit. I think that's why we all tend to like the same mods for our cars cause they make them feel more like the cars of those days.
I hope I'm not going om here and of course these are all my opinions.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:42 PM
nobrakes
2nd Gear Member

Its a pony car, neither a sports or muscle.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:43 PM
nobrakes
2nd Gear Member

Internet glitch double post

Quick Reply: Ricey or not?