Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Scratched Tints???

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 05:18 PM
06mustangt

Default Scratched Tints???

The guy that tinted my windows said that on the new mustangs there is a thing in the door that scratches the tint. Does anyone have this problem??
Old 08-25-2007, 05:23 PM
oshkoshbajawsh
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Scratched Tints???

please use the search button. ill give you a hint... type in "moleskin"
Old 08-25-2007, 06:44 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Yes. Your tint will scratch unless you instal a barrier... like moleskin.

https://mustangforums.com/m_3059554/tm.htm
Old 08-25-2007, 09:22 PM
06musgt
2nd Gear Member

thats correct,i bought mine last year with factory tint.both windows have scratches all over the bottoms and one thin line from top to bottom of both windows.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:38 AM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

my driver side tint is scratched to hell. my passanger side window has one scatch.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:15 AM
oshkoshbajawsh
I ♥ Acer

my front 2 windows are scratched all over, i dont have moleskin and i dont really care. ill take the tints off someday and until then they are fine with me
Old 08-26-2007, 11:28 AM
boudreaux
1st Gear Member

the guy that tinted my windows told me about the problem when he was doing the tint. He said the problem was the dirt andgrit in your window ledge that slides inside and rubs against thewindow supports on the inside of the doorwhen the window as it goes up and down. He has an 05 with the orginal tint he put on back then anddoesnt have a single scratch or rub yet, but he didnt go with the moleskin. He keeps a can of compressed air(like you use toclean your computer keyboard) and he blows the interior door sill out before he rolls the window down.

I'm at 6500 miles and dont have any problems yet using that method....hopefully it will last.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:01 PM
Rdot9
DubStep Stu

so he has to do that everytime he rolls the windows down???[&:]just order the moleskin and dont worry about that, nobody i talked to has had a problem with it...
pay $6 for shipping: http://www.empirepao.com/
Old 08-26-2007, 05:01 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I went to Michaels and bought 1 sheet of black felt with a sticky backside. It tooks me less than 1 hour to do both sides of my car. I had to cut the 8.5 x 11 sheet of felt into 3 strips for each door, took the molding out (very easy) sanding the molding with sandpaper and put the felt on. Put everything back and haven't had a scratch since.

Keep in mind this was on an 07 and I had my windows tinted and before the 3 days was up before i could even roll them down I could see small scratches starting just from the little bit the windows go up and down from opening the doors.

P.S. the felt from michaels cost me $1 dollar.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:34 PM
LiLJimmyNorton

I had my windows tinted for $260 and that included the moleskin, I had no idea until after the fact i just took his word for it .... Im glad i did after reading these forums BTW Thanks! ...

Has anyone else had thier windshield tinted? I did mine and its unbelieveable ... Its not a dark tint and you can bearly notice but there is no dash glare during the day and no light glare at night ...

Quick Reply: Scratched Tints???