Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

X-Charger Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 03:06 PM
CFortin

Just messaged Dave and hopefully he has some good ideas for me. How hard is the install of the kit btw? I can't find instructions anywhere for the wet-x in particular. I have seen that the nozzle goes after the TB on this kit though.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:15 PM
CFortin

I had another idea today to make the water injection more effective. I was thinking about having a billet aluminum spacer made to match up with the outlet of the supercharger sort of like a TB spacer. If it was made thick enough I could drill and tap it and thread the nozzle into it. This would mean the injection would be right under the screws and should be much more efficient. Again it's just an idea and any input is welcome.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:23 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CFortin
I had another idea today to make the water injection more effective. I was thinking about having a billet aluminum spacer made to match up with the outlet of the supercharger sort of like a TB spacer. If it was made thick enough I could drill and tap it and thread the nozzle into it. This would mean the injection would be right under the screws and should be much more efficient. Again it's just an idea and any input is welcome.
I'd be concerned doing it that way that you wouldn't get an even water/meth/air mix to each cylinder. Some cylinders would likely receive more than others depending on their proximity to the injector nozzle.

Where the Wet-X normally taps in (the curved plenum before the blower) the air/moisture is thoroughly mixed going through the blower. Going to an under blower injection plate would probably need multiple water injectors.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:34 PM
CFortin

Once again that is a good insight. I wish I could show a picture of what I was thinking. Maybe I can put my paint skills to the test.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:46 PM
CFortin

I'm hoping I can get results close to what you saw Torch or maybe a little more with a bit more aggressive tune. If I could break into the 12's I'd be very happy. Especially given the fact that my uncle just bought an srt8 Challenger and he wants to run against me. I want to put up some resemblance of a fight haha
Old 03-19-2013, 08:40 AM
up_yours_7
3rd Gear Member

So you xcharger guys I need some help. I can't decide what I want to do as in dropping in a V8 and getting heads and cams for it or going with the xcharger hipo plus? I want to run low 13s or even 12s but keep changing my mind on what I want to do. I have everything on my car setup to do a quick and easy V8 swap all I would need is a driveshaft and the V8 swap would only cost me $3000. On the other hand I love the V6 what would you guys do? Say you have $5000 cash in hand right now. I was looking at SSM to see about their heads and cams for the V6 as an option with the xcharger also.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:47 AM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by up_yours_7
So you xcharger guys I need some help. I can't decide what I want to do as in dropping in a V8 and getting heads and cams for it or going with the xcharger hipo plus? I want to run low 13s or even 12s but keep changing my mind on what I want to do. I have everything on my car setup to do a quick and easy V8 swap all I would need is a driveshaft and the V8 swap would only cost me $3000. On the other hand I love the V6 what would you guys do? Say you have $5000 cash in hand right now. I was looking at SSM to see about their heads and cams for the V6 as an option with the xcharger also.
wwhen you say its set up does that mean you have a motor and a PCM lined up? and are you doing the work yourself and 3k is what ur spending on parts? in that case i would do the swap since i think the HIPO is like 5k+
Old 03-19-2013, 08:56 AM
up_yours_7
3rd Gear Member

I have a guy in my town selling a GT motor and trans and all the wiring and computers for $3000 so I figure I could spend the extra $2000 I have on heads and cams for it would give me around 350hp I think not sure though. I don't know as I keep going back and forth between the two. Yes I can do all the work myself except for maybe the heads and cams.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:13 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by up_yours_7
I have a guy in my town selling a GT motor and trans and all the wiring and computers for $3000 so I figure I could spend the extra $2000 I have on heads and cams for it would give me around 350hp I think not sure though. I don't know as I keep going back and forth between the two. Yes I can do all the work myself except for maybe the heads and cams.
If you can do the work yourself, the 4.6L swap is certainly a viable option. I went through pretty much the same internal debates years ago. For me it came down to wanting to do something a bit different. A normally aspirated 4.6L seemed a little bit "plain vanilla" to me, whereas with the blown 4.0L there was no concern about popping the hood at a show and being lined up with 30 identical cars.

I'd suggest considering your goals carefully. If the 350-ish neighborhood is where you see being happy with the car long term, then either path is viable. If you're one of the folks that gets bored with a certain power level after a while, then the 4.6L swap leaves you more headroom for future increases.

In my own case, I knew the mid- 300's area was going to be enough to keep me happy (and it has). I don't street race ever, go to a dragstrip once in a blue moon, and personally find between 300-400 HP plenty for the street.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:01 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
If you can do the work yourself, the 4.6L swap is certainly a viable option. I went through pretty much the same internal debates years ago. For me it came down to wanting to do something a bit different. A normally aspirated 4.6L seemed a little bit "plain vanilla" to me, whereas with the blown 4.0L there was no concern about popping the hood at a show and being lined up with 30 identical cars.

I'd suggest considering your goals carefully. If the 350-ish neighborhood is where you see being happy with the car long term, then either path is viable. If you're one of the folks that gets bored with a certain power level after a while, then the 4.6L swap leaves you more headroom for future increases.

In my own case, I knew the mid- 300's area was going to be enough to keep me happy (and it has). I don't street race ever, go to a dragstrip once in a blue moon, and personally find between 300-400 HP plenty for the street.
yup i second this. im staying a 6er for a while because i know ill be pretty happy with mid 300's and its something different. and if i want more, ill save up and buy a termi. but if i had the know how to do the swap, i would do it to save the 2k. i think that plus the sound of a v8 would convince me that being different isnt always best lol

Quick Reply: X-Charger Discussion Thread