Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

X-Charger Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 02:28 PM
The01Cav
2nd Gear Member

Will the X-Charger Xtreme be problem free on a stock 4.0? Say only mods being a set of shorty headers and a flowmaster force II catback?
Old 10-15-2013, 03:27 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by The01Cav
Will the X-Charger Xtreme be problem free on a stock 4.0? Say only mods being a set of shorty headers and a flowmaster force II catback?
As problem free as any supercharger can ever be. I've got 55K on mine without trouble. Jim C put his on when the car was approaching 100K, and put another 100K or so on it before selling (to get a newer model). As far as I know his car is still alive and kicking with the new owner.

Beefing up the driveshaft and rear axle would be recommended for the extra power, especially if you'll be taking it to the track, running slicks, etc.

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 10-15-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:48 PM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

7 years and 50k, going strong
Old 10-15-2013, 07:29 PM
JimC

Installed it on my 2006 at 90,000 miles. When I sold it June 2012 it was still running mid 12's at the track with 203,000 on the odometer. The new owner took a vacation on the Bourbon Trail with it this summer, had it at the track, and last I heard he had 212,000 on it.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:38 PM
The01Cav
2nd Gear Member

I just wanted to make sure, i'll actually be doing a true trac and 4.10 with a driveshaft before I put the supercharger on. I just wanted to make sure it's not gonna be losing a head gasket or anything like that. I have a BBK 70mm TB and some other things sitting around and was just curious. I know it's also tune dependent.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:29 PM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

I am almost at the point of pulling the trigger on the X. Hopefully next summer, i'll have my ducks in a row to get it. I was debating between the X and Procharger, but I'm leaning more towards the X. Something about having the S/C sit on top of the engine looks spot on.

I've looked up both systems, the HI-PO and the Xtreme. The two kits look exactly identical, aside from the price difference, but when I looked a little bit further, the HI-PO has a 2.8" non-intercooled set up, and the Xtreme has a 2.6" w/intercooler? Is that right?

For the sake of my wallet, if I were to buy/install the HI-PO, have my fun with that, then later down the road buy a 2.6" pulley and intercooler set up, I would essentially have the Xtreme?

Or am I completely wrong on all of this?
Old 10-15-2013, 10:33 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007StangV6
I am almost at the point of pulling the trigger on the X. Hopefully next summer, i'll have my ducks in a row to get it. I was debating between the X and Procharger, but I'm leaning more towards the X. Something about having the S/C sit on top of the engine looks spot on.

I've looked up both systems, the HI-PO and the Xtreme. The two kits look exactly identical, aside from the price difference, but when I looked a little bit further, the HI-PO has a 2.8" non-intercooled set up, and the Xtreme has a 2.6" w/intercooler? Is that right?

For the sake of my wallet, if I were to buy/install the HI-PO, have my fun with that, then later down the road buy a 2.6" pulley and intercooler set up, I would essentially have the Xtreme?

Or am I completely wrong on all of this?
That is correct.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:53 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by The01Cav
I just wanted to make sure, i'll actually be

doing a true trac and 4.10

with a driveshaft before I put the supercharger on. I just wanted to make sure it's not gonna be losing a head gasket or anything like that. I have a BBK 70mm TB and some other things sitting around and was just curious. I know it's also tune dependent.
Are you doing the gears and true track on the 7.5 rear end? If so, don't do it - it is cheaper in the long run to swap to the 8.8 than it is to build the 7.5, and then break it anyway especially with the low end torque of the Xcharger.

I tried to build the 7.5 on my 2006 and it cost me more than it ended up swapping the 8.8 in. All it took to break that was a CAI, tune and a set of drag radials.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:09 AM
2007StangV6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
That is correct.
I actually got something right? I'm moving up in this world! Haha.

The specs that AM has for both kits show that they both run 10-11psi. I thought smaller pulley = more boost?

If I do "upgrade" to the Xtreme, do I also need to get the Snow Performace Booster Cooler, or something similar? Or is that used for mainly track purposes? How long does the meth/water mix usually last?

F/I is pretty new to me, so aside from knowing WHAT it does, I don't actually know what I NEED.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:54 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by 2007StangV6
I actually got something right? I'm moving up in this world! Haha.

The specs that AM has for both kits show that they both run 10-11psi. I thought smaller pulley = more boost?

If I do "upgrade" to the Xtreme, do I also need to get the Snow Performace Booster Cooler, or something similar? Or is that used for mainly track purposes? How long does the meth/water mix usually last?

F/I is pretty new to me, so aside from knowing WHAT it does, I don't actually know what I NEED.
You don't need the meth with the Xtreme. The purpose of the meth kit was to provide some cooling for the air. With the Xtreme you have much cooler air already. The meth kit also will strip the coating off the rotors. I saw it on a Russ's car when I installed the Xtreme on his.

Quick Reply: X-Charger Discussion Thread