Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

i need some knowledge on dual exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 02:23 PM
Dirty Jersey Mustang

Default i need some knowledge on dual exhaust!

I have very little knowledge aboutthe way some things workbut recently found myself wanting to know more. Especially since I want duals on my mustang. I understand the different types, like axle-back, and cat back. But what is true duals exactly, What's the difference in the pipe setup, such as y and x. I know what they are but what difference do they make in performance and sound. So if ya could, tell me which brands make good kits, and what each kind of set up will do. thanks
Old 09-26-2007, 02:34 PM
07lane40
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: i need some knowledge on dual exhaust!

true duals have two sets of pipes with a crossover. a dual evhaust with a y pipe has the stock y pipe and it narrows down to the stock tubing and then goes out to two exits using another y pipe. if you plan on alot of modding, you will see better performance with the true duals, the 2 y's will basically act as a high flo muffler. and the difference between the two types of true duals is the shape of the crossover, which basically just gives a different sound. there has not been any real hard evidence to support that a X flows better than an H, they pretty much just sound different. size of tubing affects sound and performance just as much also. but dont go too big cause then your stang will fall flat on its face. 2.5" tubing is plenty big and will sound great. Pypes makes a good kit, thats what i have, and i love it. JBA also makes good stuff. i've heard though, to stay away from the FLowmaster American Thunder axlebacks, because apparently they crap-out around 5k miles.

i'd say to just make sure you look at all your options before buying. and if the kit youre using has a slip-fit and clamp style attachment system, to get it welded shut son after installation to rid the car of excessive vibration.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:45 PM
jrhykushi
4th Gear Member

i have the same dilemma as the poster. i am also pretty damn clueless about how dual exhausts work, but thanks 07lane40, youre post explained quite a bit of info

where do i get mustang gt exhaust systems?
im afraid all these aftermarket exhausts are gonna be way too loud [>:]
Old 09-26-2007, 07:33 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

I went through a few exhaust setups, as follows:

1. Single GT take off
2. Magnaflow Dual Kit (Y Pipe)
3. Magnaflow Dual Kit (X pipe conversion)
4. GT take off pipes, Dual American Thunders & X Pipe
5. Powerhouse turbo w/Y Pipe and Dual American Thunders
6. Powerhouse turbo w/Y Pipe and Dual American Thunders w/JBA shorties and no cat

I did back to back testing on my car when it was NA, of a Y pipe and X pipe. The difference was 2rwhp, and that is considered a 0 gain on a dyno due to 2hp attributing to nearly anything, air quality, heat soak, etc. The tuner (Excessive) and other tuners said on the NA car, an H or X pipe offer no gains, and are for sound only. Case and point, owners with a single bolt on muffler, a tune and a cai make the same gains as someone with H, Y or X pipe dual exhaust. The stock V6 muffler is restrictive, thats what frees up some flow.

Another example, Fitbikeco, a member on this forum, runs 14.4 or 14.3 I believe, all day long with just a single muffler, a CAI and a tune from Doug. This is on street tires and stock rear end and suspension.

On an FI car, I did a test with my turbo with duals, and then with a single 3inch catback system at Powerhouse. The car made the same power with both setups.

So in the end, go with what sounds best to you. Then if you get serious later down the road, you can go headers, high flow cats, etc.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:38 PM
Dirty Jersey Mustang

thanks for the responses, keep em coming. I'm tyring to soak up as much info as i can. Which setups have you guys had that you thought sounds the best. I'm hoping for a deeper sound, but not loud enough to get me pulled over all the time or something.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:12 PM
Dennis074.0
3rd Gear Member

H pipe gives a deep muscle sound, an X gives more of a raspy sound sort of exotic like, and a Y is pretty much stock sound, just set up so you can have duals.

the X pipe will give the most hp gains, then the H, then the Y.

the overall best setup for sound (that muscular sound, some people have rice, or high pitched tones) would be an H pipe with mufflers mainly made for GT's (a muffler set that does not come in a single muffler version) such as borlas or SLP loudmouths, or FRPP, with shorty or long tube headers (depending on your states laws).
Old 09-26-2007, 09:24 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dennis074.0

H pipe gives a deep muscle sound, an X gives more of a raspy sound sort of exotic like, and a Y is pretty much stock sound, just set up so you can have duals.

the X pipe will give the most hp gains, then the H, then the Y.

the overall best setup for sound (that muscular sound, some people have rice, or high pitched tones) would be an H pipe with mufflers mainly made for GT's (a muffler set that does not come in a single muffler version) such as borlas or SLP loudmouths, or FRPP, with shorty or long tube headers (depending on your states laws).
On a NA 4.0L car, neither H, X or Y will generate more HP. I did back to back dynos on X and Y, and there is other data supporting this as well from other dyno and track runs.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:33 PM
Dennis074.0
3rd Gear Member

really, I've heard alot of people say they noticed HP gains with both N/A.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:41 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

The restrictive part is the stock V6 muffler, you will see a gain changing it out, be it a bolt on muffler, or a cat back dual kit. Now, headers, high flow cats, can cat back system are a different case. Also, from the dynos I've seen, a single 3in catback system performs the same as a dual system on the FI cars.

I personally would get what looks and sounds best to you. Yes the X pipe does flow better, but on the NA cars it does not show any real performance difference on our cars.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:00 PM
optras
2nd Gear Member

Dennis, a Shelby? really? Don't forget all of us in the right lane. You must have a pretty good friend if you're getting any kind of deal on that.

Quick Reply: i need some knowledge on dual exhaust!