Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Is this part "essential"?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 05:14 PM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

Default Is this part "essential"?

I hit a piece of something hard and plastic today on the freeway. It shot out from a car a couple of car-lengths ahead of me on the lane to my right. I had no time to dodge, brake or anything. Fortunately, it caused no serious damage, but it did scuff up the lower part of my front bumper.... and it broke off about an 18" length of the black plastic piece/strip that is attached to the lip of the front bumper at the very bottom of the bumper... it runs the entire length of the bumper.

Outside of cosmetics (it is very difficult to see anyway since it is practically underneath the car), is this piece "essential" to the integrity of the car, the bumper, etc.?

I'd like to just remove it and be done with it, but I can replace it if necessary.

Thanks for any help.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: Is this part "essential"?

ORIGINAL: celenztah

I hit a piece of something hard and plastic today on the freeway. It shot out from a car a couple of car-lengths ahead of me on the lane to my right. I had no time to dodge, brake or anything. Fortunately, it caused no serious damage, but it did scuff up the lower part of my front bumper.... and it broke off about an 18" length of the black plastic piece/strip that is attached to the lip of the front bumper at the very bottom of the bumper... it runs the entire length of the bumper.

Outside of cosmetics (it is very difficult to see anyway since it is practically underneath the car), is this piece "essential" to the integrity of the car, the bumper, etc.?

I'd like to just remove it and be done with it, but I can replace it if necessary.

Thanks for any help.
That 'broken' part under your bumper did it's job. It's a deflector to keep rocks and other debris from damaging the radiator. Go buy a new one, otherwise if you have another incident like that your radiator will take the blow.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:18 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

now you have an excuse to buy the 3D Carbon front air dam...hehe[8D]
Old 10-09-2007, 05:30 PM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sancho805

now you have an excuse to buy the 3D Carbon front air dam...hehe[8D]
lol.... Not if my wife gets wind of that!

Ok.. Kewl.... deflector is an essential function... I'll get that little strip replaced then and even had the lower scuff marks touch-up with matching paint... wait.. I have touch-up paint for my car... kewl... I'll just pay for the part then.

Thanks! And yes... it did do its job!