Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

TBB

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 03:20 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Default TBB

I read that the 05's have the coolant line running through the throttle body heating it up some. Should I do the throttle body bypass or will I see no difference? I'm thinking of doing it b/c supposedly it heats up the air before it goes into the engine which would decrease hp and performance. Thanx ahead!
Old 10-17-2007, 06:37 AM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: TBB

Throttle Body Bypass huh?? My uncle had one of those performed once and it took him months to recover! J/k

There is more than just that one coolant line and I suppose that you could bypass it but I have this question to ask. Where exactly is the coolant being delivered? I dont think that you should mess with this personally, Im sure the coolant line is not heating up anything more than the heat in the engine compartment itself.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:55 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Thanx for the help! The line goes through the bottom of the throttle body. They sell kits on fixing it, but screamin(a long time ago), made a post on how to do it, drain the lines,then takeout both wires connected to the throttle body and thenconnect them together. I heard it's supposed showa big difference when the cars warmed up. The coolantrunning through the throttle body heats up the air going into the engineby 40degrees or something when the caris warmed up. Any insight is appreciated!
Here's the how to:
http://www.v6john.com/Main/Performan.../tb_bypass.htm
Old 10-17-2007, 12:57 PM
schapman
4th Gear Member

I cant see how it would heat up the air by 40 degrees. Even if the TB was 100 degrees higher w/o the bypassthe air movesquicklythrew the TB. it doesnt just sit intheTB and heat up.

ORIGINAL: SteelStang05

Thanx for the help! The line goes through the bottom of the throttle body. They sell kits on fixing it, but screamin(a long time ago), made a post on how to do it, drain the lines,then takeout both wires connected to the throttle body and thenconnect them together. I heard it's supposed showa big difference when the cars warmed up. The coolantrunning through the throttle body heats up the air going into the engineby 40degrees or something when the caris warmed up. Any insight is appreciated!
Here's the how to:
http://www.v6john.com/Main/Performan.../tb_bypass.htm
Old 10-17-2007, 01:03 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

I don't know. I read u will feel a difference. It's a free mod, and if I have a half hr-hr to do it I probably will. U have to drain the coolant first to do it, so I will have to figure out something to do with that first. Someone said it should yield a few rwhp at the least. If it's free, why not get a few extra ponies!
Old 10-17-2007, 01:05 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

The coolant running through the throttle body has absolutely no effect on air temp moving through it.
The purpose is strictly to prevent icing. That's it.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:29 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Thanx for the answer! Saved me a few hrs of wasted time.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:46 PM
Paleoc
2nd Gear Member

The coolant heats up the throttle body and will definitely affect the air temp running through it. Warm up the car and put your hand on theradiator(or the throttle body) if you don't believe me. This poor design was only found on 05 cars. On 2006 and later cars, Ford realized that it was not one of their better ideas and removed it. The modification is easy and will take about 15 mins (including drinkinga beer) and is definitely worth it.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:58 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Ok, so I guess I will do it then. Damn this topic is controversial among online users.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:10 PM
alsoknownazg
3rd Gear Member

tell me how it turns out cus i wanna know

Quick Reply: TBB